2019’s Hottest Summer Concerts

Audrey Hancock, Staff Writer

Summer is finally here and what’s a better way to kick it off than with some local concerts. Not only do these events offer great music, but they’ll also enable you to make lasting memories you’ll cherish all summer and beyond. So take out your calendars and jot down these concert dates and times!

One of the most popular concerts that’s more likely to be sold out and higher priced will be Billie Eilish performing with Denzel Curry at Cal Coast Credit Union Open Air Theatre on July 13. “Billie Eilish has made history this week after becoming the youngest female solo-artist to secure a number one album in the UK charts,” according to a website about Billie Eilish (her.ie). Wow, big flex.

If you can’t make it to see this icon, don’t worry, there’s more. On June 8, Vudabar, togetherPANGEA, and Dehd will be performing at the Irenic. Sports Arena is going to be hosting Khalid on June 23, and Shawn Mendes on July 8. North Island Credit Union Amphitheatre is hosting Wiz Khalifa with French Montana, DJ Drama, Playboi Carti, and MoneyBagg Yo on August 10. Blueface will be performing at Soma on August 22. These concerts may sell out fast, so consider getting tickets as soon as possible, according to an event ticket website (seatgeek.com).

If you’re worried about prices, don’t be, because fortunately there will also be a serious amount of free concerts. From Balboas Twilight in the Park Shows and El Cajon’s Dinner and a Concert Shows, to Coronado’s Promenade Summer Concert Series, these concerts offer not just fun, but free fun. According to a website about summer concerts, “A beloved local tradition, the Coronado Promenade Summer Concert Series takes place every Sunday evening in Spreckels Park near the center of town. Visitors can enjoy cool live music while picnicking.” This would be a really cute romantic date idea! If not, then I recommend an adventurous time at Balboa Park: “Balboa Park’s annual Twilight in the Park Summer Concerts offers a free concert series under the stars on Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday evenings. Twilight concerts feature a mix of musical performances, including military bands, Dixieland jazz, big band swing and Latin salsa” (sandiego.org).

Sophomore Trevor Messerly said, “I’m excited for all concerts this summer. I would really want to see Rich the Kid, Joey Badass, and Rob Vicious.”

There are so many opportunities to go out and make amazing memories with friends or even family. There will be enjoyable performances for all ages, including the smooth jazz festival, green flash concert series, and many more (sandiego.org). As you can tell, there’s a lot of choices for you, friends, and your family to choose from.

Attending any of these concerts is highly recommended if you’re looking for a good time this summer. And if you’re not the concert type, deep, deep down you want to be, considering that you read this article.