Local Earth Day Celebrations For You to Enjoy

Josie Krupens, Staff Writer

Earth Day is a time for the community to come together and celebrate our beautiful planet. From participating in a huge festival or a powerful parade in Balboa Park, to simply going outside on a short walk, there are many ways to celebrate Earth Day in sunny San Diego.

One widely attended Earth Day event in San Diego is EarthFair, an annual fair held in Balboa Park. It is run by an organization of volunteers called San Diego EarthWorks, with sponsors such as San Diego Gas and Electric and Solar Turbines. According to its official website, EarthFair is the largest free annual environmental fair in the world. According to one Earth Day website, “Each year, the EarthFair draws around 60,000 visitors” (earthdayweb.org). EarthFair will have countless, fun, and exciting activities for children and adults alike. They will have some 300 exhibitors at booths, an arts and crafts gallery and show, a food pavilion, a children’s entertainment area, and a parade. The fair will be held on Sunday, April 28, from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m., and the admission is… free! Now, how fun does that sound?

Another way to celebrate Earth Day is to volunteer for a cause that helps the environment. According to the official California State Parks Foundation website, they are hosting an annual Earth Day celebration by inviting people to their local state parks and providing opportunities to volunteer. There will be a volunteer day in Old Town on April 13 from 10:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m.. The website explains, “We will be pulling out invasive weeds, planting native plants, and repairing fences” (calparks.org). Not only is this a way to give back to your community, but it’s also a great way to earn volunteer hours while simultaneously bettering the local environment.

The California State Parks Foundation is offering more than just volunteer work at Old Town. They are also hosting an Open House, in an effort to educate people about the park. “This family-friendly event welcomes you to learn more about Old Town San Diego State Historic Park. Activities include tours about native plants and the Kumeyaay tribe, basket making, planting seeds to take home, building bird feeders and much more,” explains the California Parks Foundation website. The open house will take place from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. (calparks.org).

Cleaning up litter and debris is another way to give back to the planet. I Love A Clean San Diego hosts an annual Creek to Bay Cleanup in San Diego. According to the official Creek to Bay Cleanup website, the event is a series of cleanups at over 100 sites in San Diego County, such as Belmont Park and La Jolla Shores. It takes place on Saturday, April 27, from 9 a.m. to 12 p.m., and registration opens on April 1 (creektobay.org).

There are also many things that people can do on their own to celebrate Earth Day. In San Diego’s coastal regions, beach cleanups are extremely beneficial. Sophomore Mikaela Norum said, “On Earth Day, I sometimes drive to a beach and spend a couple of hours picking up any trash I come across. It’s not very labor-intensive.”

Another creative idea is to start a garden with flowering plants that will help pollinators. According to a website about bee conservancy, “By planting a bee-garden, you too can do your part to help the bees by adding to the shrinking inventory of flower-rich habitat in your area.” Though some people may be anxious about inviting bees into their yards or by their windowsill, it helps conserve bees and other pollinators (thehoneybeeconservancy.org).

Earth Day is a day to honor our planet and celebrate everything it gives to us. There are many ways to give back, from a big celebration to a small act of kindness. The Earth has done so much for humanity, so do not hesitate to choose a way to appreciate it.