2016 Annual Old Town Cinco de Mayo Fiesta Starts Today

The+Cinco+de+Mayo+Fiesta+takes+place+in+Old+Town%2C+San+Diego.+

Carissa Guzman

The Cinco de Mayo Fiesta takes place in Old Town, San Diego.

Audrey Hancock, Staff Writer

Don’t miss the thirty-second Annual Fiesta Old Town Cinco de Mayo, starting today Friday, May 6, 4 p.m. through Sunday, May 8, 5 p.m.

This celebration is in the birthplace of California, Old Town San Diego. It is the largest event of its kind in beautiful Southern California and has been a San Diego tradition since 1983. According to the Cinco de Mayo Foundation, “The fiesta has live music stages, historical demonstrations, the Cantina Garden, Equestrian Performances, a low-rider car show and more” (oldtownsandiegoguide.com). When you go, there will be a lot of commemorative historical monuments, and even a graveyard and a haunted house to visit. Enjoy three days of music, food and fun.

Freshman Isabella Hall said, “I really like the culture and the vibes it gives. When I went, there were lots of decorations and couples dancing to the mariachi bands.”

There are multiple different vendors for food, fun activities and retail. Last year, for the Children’s Area, there was Ocean Beach Surf and Skate, as well as retail vendors with colorful Mexican Art, Estela Morales Artesania Mexicana that sells alluring clothing and Nite Owl Ink, which sells original designed tees.

Old Town has many drink and food specials. Don’t forget to grab a bite at some of the finest Mexican restaurants to enjoy many different types of Mexican cuisine while you are celebrating Cinco de Mayo. According to the Old Town San Diego guide, “There are plenty of great restaurants to choose from, including Barra Barra Saloon, Café Coyote, Casa de Reyes, Miguel’s, Casa Guadalajara, Old Town tequila factory, Rockin Baja Lobster, The Cosmopolitan and Old Town Mexican Café” (oldtownsandiegoguide.com). Join Old Town’s top restaurants in celebrating Cinco de Mayo with lots to drinks and delicious food specials.

You can also explore the colorful greetings on the streets. If you are interested in art, then venture over to Lowrider Lane, where you will see breathtaking custom art pieces. Plus, you don’t have to worry about being held up due to parking. Old Town has plenty of parking at the Cal Trans offices on Taylor and Juan’s streets, so there’s no need to stress about being delayed by traffic.

If any UC High students find themselves without weekend plans, come check out this spectacular Old Town event. Venturing through the many historical sites and shopping in a variety of stores is only the beginning of what you can do at this annual event. This annual festival in Old Town will allow UC High students to discover different types of art, unknown history and culture only found in Old Town.