Annual Sights and Sounds Showcase Features UC High Students

Diverse Dance Crew performs at the Sights and Sounds Showcase.

Juliana Marquez//Commander

Juliana Marquez//Commander

Audrey Hancock, Staff Writer

The second annual Sights and Sounds Showcase was held on Friday, March 25, at the Lawrence Family Jewish Community Center (JCC) featuring students from UC High, staff members and other special guests.
Music Director Brandon Corenman said, “The Sights and Sounds Showcase is a variety show and musical performance. Last year, we wanted to come up with a unique fundraiser [to support the UC Music Department] that was really fun and enjoyable.”
“Our money comes from the showcase. It gets us a lot of income for our music department,” said Sophomore Chelsea Lugue.
According to the UC High Music Department’s website, “The showcase is for the entire family and featured performances from students and staff as well as a live auction with our special guest auctioneer, UC High’s Principal Jeff Olivero. Intermission featured a gourmet dessert reception.” At 6 p.m., The French Gourmet catered an adult cocktail reception, and there was a teen lounge with a pizza dinner for 5 dollars (uchsmusic.com).
“I was able to auction off on my portion of a golf outing. It was interesting to see the different talents the students and staff have musically. I was blown away with Mr. Cormen’s band performance,” said Olivero.
Corenman said, “There was a whole range of different performers, including an instrumental soloist, small ensembles, a salsa band, dance groups, rock bands and poetry readers. At the end of the show,  my Latin Ensemble, Rumba u Sol, performed Salsa, Merengue, Machata and Cumbia.”
Corenman said, “It was an amazing event last year: we didn’t know how it was going to go, but there was a lot of hard work involved by a lot of people, and it payed off. Everyone has their own representative piece that they perform and that shows off what they can really do.”
Tickets were 30 dollars for adults and 20 dollars for students (uchsmusic.com).