UC High Wrestling Team Slams Opponent to Start Off Season

Jordan McRath, Sports Editor

The UC High Wrestling Team has started their season off strong with three consecutive wins, and they look to carry that moment on into the rest of the year.

Stellar performances from a few individuals have greatly contributed to the team’s success. Junior Phelan Sullivan is one such individual,  “All my matches so far have gone great. I’m undefeated and I don’t plan on losing anytime soon,” he said. 

Senior Captain Pierce Curry has also played a pivotal role, “I have wrestled seven matches and won five of them. I think I’ve done very well, but there are definitely improvements to be made to prepare for cities and CIF. In most of my matches, I’ve been wrestling heavier weight classes than I weigh right now, so when I go my regular weight at the city tournament and CIF I should do very well.”

After having to miss out on the Masters and State tournaments last year due to COVID-19, the team is confident and eager to finish this season strong. “Unfortunately, last year was very restricted compared to a normal season because of the COVID outbreak,” said Sullivan. He added, “If we did have any State or Masters tournaments last year, I would have strived to stay undefeated, but you never know who’s out there going that extra harder at practice or studying that extra minute longer. This year, I think we’ll be one of the top schools in our division if we keep the same intensity every match.”

“We did have a season last year, which I was extremely grateful for, but I am really looking forward to all the usual tournaments returning. This season, I think the team will be top three at the city tournament and at CIF. We definitely have a shot at even winning this year. I do hope we win CIF and place at Masters, possibly qualifying for the state tournament,” said Curry.

The key to the team’s success, they believe, is their training regimen.  “In order to be exceptional in wrestling, you need to be really fast on your feet. You need athleticism, endurance, and a tough mentality. You can’t get tripped up on the little stuff. We’re able to be so good at all those things because of our training,” said Senior Captain Rodrigo Luna. “Even though each match lasts such a short period of time, it takes an incredible amount of energy. You have to be in great shape to be successful, and thanks to our training, we are.”

“Wrestling is a very tough and demanding sport. It’s the only combat sport in high school. Every match is a challenge; you have to work hard to be successful. You can be lazy and be on the team, but you won’t be a champion.”