Varsity Football Continues to Find Ways to Improve

Courtesy of Maximilian Pinto

The UC High football defense prepare to stop the San Diego High Cavers.

Shaun Rabot, Sports Editor

With a strong start to the season, the UC High Football Team is playing harder than ever, and they have the results to prove it.

Returning from last season’s record of 1-4, Senior Offensive Guard Jonah Greenbaum believes that there is more to expect this season than last. Greenbaum said, “There is a huge difference in this season compared to last. With all of our phenomenal staff showing how committed they are to the team, it is inspiring for the players and motivates us to do better on the field” (maxpreps.com).

This year’s team is different from other teams that Head Coach Paul Lawrence has coached in the past. One of those differences is their determination.  Lawrence said, “There are things different about this team. One thing that is different is the willingness to get better every week. This team has a lot of players with high character. That character brings a different outlook on the goals we want to accomplish. I feel really good about this and it feels like we have come together as a family.”

The team this year is always looking for ways to improve.  Lawrence said, “My main focus on improving this year is to take care of the little things.”

The team captains are always working hard. Junior Quarterback and Team Captain Samuel Cooper said, “I lead by example. I work hard in every practice and encourage everyone to do the same.”

Team Captain Senior Receiver Ikaika Bell, along with the other team captains, are always looking for ways to get better. Bell said, “Me and my other captain teammates usually come together after every week and talk about what we could have done better or what we could have done differently. After that, we go out and work on it. Everyone is really dedicated to being the best they can possibly be.”

Tonight, October 22, the Centurions have a game against the Mission Bay Buccaneers at UC High. Not only is it the last home game for the Cents, but it is also senior night. UC will hope to have a big game against the Buccaneers as they come down the home stretch of the season (maxpreps.com).

When asked about tonight’s game, Cooper said, “The team is not all of UC, but every student and staff member is UC, so we need everyone to come out and support us tonight against Mission Bay.”

Greenbaum, who also wants UC High students and staff to come out to tonight’s game said, “Everyone should at least check out tonight’s game, because you’ll have a great time hanging out with your friends and watching the game.” Bell seconded his notion: “It’s a big night tonight for myself and the other seniors on the team. It is the last home game so come out, be loud, and help us get