UC High Reintroduces Competitive Cheer After Six Years

Sophomore+Sophia+Jimenez%2C+Senior+Morgan+Johnson%2C+Senior+Ceci+Vallejos%2C+Senior+Sophia+Cook%2C+Freshman+Olivia+Alfonso%2C+Junior+Julia+Hagstrom%2C+Junior+Sugey+Martinez%2C+Senior+Ashley+Wilcox%2C+Sophomore+Alexis+McKinney%2C+and+Freshman+Charlisse+Ringfield+practice+a+stunt+%28top+to+bottom%2C+left+to+right%29.+

Kyla Esquivel

Sophomore Sophia Jimenez, Senior Morgan Johnson, Senior Ceci Vallejos, Senior Sophia Cook, Freshman Olivia Alfonso, Junior Julia Hagstrom, Junior Sugey Martinez, Senior Ashley Wilcox, Sophomore Alexis McKinney, and Freshman Charlisse Ringfield practice a stunt (top to bottom, left to right).

Audrey Continelli, Staff Writer

This year we have tremendous support from our school, families, and coaching staff. Most importantly, we have a committed group of athletes that are eager to make this season great.

— Coach Liana Peitz

“5-6-7-8” Coach Liana Peitz counts while the Competitive Cheer Team performs their new stunts, each one more intense than the last.

“Our Competitive Team consists of current JV and Varsity members. We recently had tryouts and selected 19 members to be on our Competition Team,” said Peitz.

“Because the school and district only fund a cheer squad for non-competition activities, our Competition Team is not funded and will rely fully on fundraising efforts and the team’s support and assistance,” Peitz added.

According to Peitz, “This Competition Team will be classified in the non-tumbling intermediate division.” She explained that the team will learn a routine consisting of stunting, basket tosses, pyramids, jumps and other motions, and showcase it in competitions around Southern California.

“Competition Team is definitely different than regular high school cheer. Although the practices are the same length, the pace and goal of the team is different,” said Varsity Cheer Captain Morgan Johnson.

Johnson explained, “We move through stunts and choreography a lot faster, because we have three competitions that we are competing in this year.”

“I’ve been on the UC High Cheer Team for four years now, and I would say that the 2017-2018 UC High Competition Team is a lot more goal oriented as we have three individual goals for each competition,” said Johnson.

“This being our first year, the great thing is that we can go into this with no expectations. The team has the potential for this season to be successful, they just need to do what they do best, which is to have fun,” said Peitz.

Peitz stated, “Being a part of the Competition Team is a big commitment, and we do have high standards for these athletes, because we can see their potential.”

Peitz added, “Unfortunately, last year, when it came down to it, we could not get enough people to commit so it just didn’t happen.”

“The stunts, when compared to regular season, are much more difficult. They take a lot of good technique, matched timing, and new skills,” stated Johnson.

“We will use some of the stunts and pyramids we have showcased in our Homecoming routine and pep rallies, but will add more creativity in the pyramid and basket sections. With the routine being longer, there will likely be another stunt section they will learn,” said Peitz.

“Being a varsity captain, I do feel that I am leader of the Competition Team, but in a different way. The overall mindset is different on the Competition Team; captains are not needed as much for the Competition Team as they are on the sideline,” said Johnson.

Peitz said, ”This year we have tremendous support from our school, families, and coaching staff. Most importantly, we have a committed group of athletes that are eager to make this season great.”

“I enjoy both teams, for different reasons. I like sideline cheer because it involves me in the school spirit of UC and allows me to cheer on the sports teams we have here. I like competition cheer, because it really focuses on stunts, and it is fast paced,” said Johnson.

“I think it’s really cool that UC has finally brought back a Competition Cheer Team after six years of not having one,” said Johnson.

Freshman Flyer Camille Hicks said, “This is my first year doing cheer after years of doing gymnastics. I love it so much. Our Competition Team is like one big family. We have gotten closer, and I have made new friends that are like sisters to me now.”

“My favorite part of the Competition Team would be learning new stunts,” said Johnson.

“We are extremely excited for this season and couldn’t have asked for a better bunch for this first year of Competition Team,” said Peitz.