Girls Volleyball Wins League, Goes Far in CIF and State

Senior+Nicole+Vincent+goes+up+to+hit+the+set+from+Senior+Avalon+Denecochea.+Senior+Cassy+Goldenstein+and+Juniors+Izzy+Milles+and+Victoria+Rednoske+run+in+to+cover+the+ball.+

Kyla Esquivel

Senior Nicole Vincent goes up to hit the set from Senior Avalon Denecochea. Senior Cassy Goldenstein and Juniors Izzy Milles and Victoria Rednoske run in to cover the ball.

Mina Orlic, Sports Editor

“I believe that we will win! I believe that we will win!” Dozens of students, parents, and staff alike chanted those words over and over as this year’s Girls Volleyball Team played in the CIF quarterfinals. And again at the semifinals. And again at the finals.

UC High’s Varsity Girls Volleyball Team ended their league season as the number one team in Eastern League. Seeded first in Division Two CIF Playoffs, the team went on to win second place. After an action-packed five set loss to San Marcos High in the finals, UC High was seeded first in Division Four for the CIF Volleyball State Playoffs. The team then went on to make it to State semifinals, where they lost in four sets to Foothill Tech High.

This year, the Girls Volleyball Program has seen some changes, some of which include gaining a new weights and conditioning system along with a change in head coaches. New Head Coach Amanda Wiggins’ course of action was met with success and the girls ended their season with a long list of accomplishments. Senior Captain Cassy Goldenstein stated, “Our new coach has pushed us harder to succeed.”

“I’m pretty sure we made it farther than any other UC Girls Volleyball Team has before. I think our drive, stamina, and work ethic have helped us get there. We never gave up and we always kept fighting, even when we were down,” explained Senior Captain Maya Arriaga.

“It’s been very exciting, and I’m proud of the team,” added Senior Captain Avalon Denecochea, “We’ve grown together since last year; we didn’t have any seniors so a large part of the team got to play together for the second year in a row. A lot of players also improved during last year’s club season.”

Senior Setter Julia Cowell stated, “To get this far is an amazing opportunity, and I’m extremely excited and proud of our team for achieving the goals we set for ourselves and even exceeding them. I don’t think there has ever been this much talent and depth on the Girls Volleyball Team at UC High.”

“My favorite CIF game would have to be the quarterfinals against Valhalla. They were a good team, but we were determined to win, and move on to semifinals. The game went to five, and it was the best feeling to have won, because we worked so incredibly hard during that game,” recounted Junior Outside Hitter Kimmi Weiss.

After winning Eastern League, making it to the CIF Finals as well as the Division Four State Semifinals, this UC High Girls Varsity Volleyball season is definitely one for the books!