Girls Golf Works Hard to Improve

Hope Denison, Staff Writer

The UC High Girls Varsity Golf Team is in the midst of a rebuilding year, and they are working to improve their skills and come back stronger than ever next year.

“We started our season in the first week of August, and many players had been on vacation. I had hoped players would play on their own more and not require so many practices this season,” said Coach Gail Hall. “Our strongest player this year was Karli Ramsey. This was her fourth year on the team, and she is our captain.  She was also the lowest scorer and team medalist.”  The goal in golf is to have the lowest score.

Senior Captain Karli Ramsey said, “This season went really well. It was a lot of fun.”

“Another great player this year was Freshman Noodle Barba. She has a lot of potential for the next three years, and she is a very dedicated player,” added Hall.

Junior Olivia Bailow said, “I’m really looking forward to improving my skills next year. I really want to get a hole in one.”

“Our biggest rivals this year were Scripps Ranch and Point Loma. I want to improve so we can beat them next year,” stated Barba.

Ramsey said, “My favorite part of this season was playing at Torrey Pines Golf Course. It’s a challenging and a beautiful course.”

Bailow said, “I’m really looking forward to seeing what new players tryout next year.  I think it’s going to be a great year for our team.”

Hall said, “Next year, I hope the players stay with the sport and play again. We have some great new freshmen coming in. I hope to get eight dedicated players and a team qualifying for the city tournament!”