UC High Boys Lacrosse Stick to Their Season Goals

UC High's Boys Lacrosse Team huddling during a time out to motivate players and raise spirits for the remainder of the game against Patrick Henry High.

Debi Rahmanan

Debi Rahmanan

Kees van Daelen, Staff Writer

The UC High Boys Lacrosse Team’s season is coming to an end in early May and the Centurions with their 3-11 record are hoping to finish the season strong.

“The team’s goals this year is to improve our record from last year and win the championship,” said Senior Midfielder Hunter Littlewood. The team lost their final game of the season last year to La Jolla Country Day and are also looking to avenge that loss this year.

“Our biggest rival this year is Saint Augustine,” said Littlewood. The UC High Lacrosse Team did lose to the Saints earlier in the season but hope to finish out the season strong.

Some big wins for the team this year include: a 10-3 victory against Olympian High, a 6-2 victory against Foothills Christian High and a 7-6 win against Helix High in an overtime thriller where Senior Attackman Carlos Floriano made the winning goal. “This was the most exciting win for our team so far,” said Floriano.

“I like how fast the sport is played — anything can happen. It is also a really good stress reliever for me,” Floriano added.

“The team has a much harder schedule this year as opposed to last year,” said Senior Attackman Gavin Rasmussen. The Centurions had to play quality teams such as Saint Augustine High and Patrick Henry High.

Littlewood enjoys a tougher schedule, because he says it make him a better player as a whole. “Because of this, I have been able to improve on my passing, shooting, and juke moves,” Littlewood explained.

Team chemistry is very important in a sport such as lacrosse. “We go to the beach as a team a lot which builds team chemistry and allows us to play better on the field,” said Rasmussen, “I enjoy the relaxed lifestyle that comes with lacrosse as well. It is a great excuse for me to get outside and have some fun.”

With the season winding down, the Centurions look to finish as strong as possible. With only four games left in the regular season, the players, especially seniors, are looking to make the most of their opportunity to play high school lacrosse. “A lot of the seniors have been playing all four years, and we want to finish our last season as strong as possible,” Rasmussen said.