Skylar Tylski Bumps Out Rivals

Luke Minnick

Luke Minnick

Luke Minnick, Staff Writer

Senior Volleyball Captain Skylar Tylski is not only a great overall player, but an amazing leader for his team. He started playing volleyball during his freshman year, for the sole purpose of having a sport to play during the spring season. He ended up playing for the rest of his high school career, resulting in the becoming of captain.

A few things that definitely makes Tylski stand out on the team are his size, strength, and work ethic. It is no doubt that Skylar is one of the most hard-working players on the team.

Many of his teammates admire his ability to take the lead, along with his skills as a captain. Freshman  Blaise Adona said, “He is a great captain, because he calms us down and doesn’t yell at us. Skylar not only is a ro le model but adds a lot to the team as a hitter and blocker.”

Tylski said, “My favorite part is getting a big kill or block.” A hit or a kill is when a player hits the ball in a downward motion, hard enough so that no one on the other team is able to recover it, hence winning the point. A block is when a player lifts his or her hands straight up to block a hit or a kill, making the ball fall back onto the opponent’s court, also leading to another point. Not only does he precisely achieve most of his kills and blocks, according to teammates, he is very consistent — which is a hard task to accomplish.

Over the four years he has played volleyball, he has improved a great deal, and it is obvious in more than just his standings. As he is in his last year of high school, he has become a fantastic captain, an effective leader, a star player and a role model to members of his team. For those who know the sport of volleyball, you know it is not an easy sport; it’s actually quite stacked with many complicated maneuvers; however, Tylski seems to have accomplished this seamlessly.

Another great trait Tylski carries is being “volleyball smart” — in other words, knowing exactly what to do on the court, according to teammates. This transcends easily from practice to games for Tylski, as he can tell the ins and outs of this unpredictable sport.

It is evident in how he plays that he is not only a great leader but a great teammate as well. Tylski definitely has the potential to continue on as a college athlete, yet he doesn’t plan to.

Sophomore James Mcmillan said, “He is a great captain because he never gives up and has a calm and competitive spirit.” His teammates look up to him, even if they have been playing the sport longer than he has. Even though Tylski doesn’t plan on playing in college, hopefully he will continue volleyball in his future. His skills as a captain are exceptional, and he does what he feels is best for the team. He is a shoulder to lean on, and a person to confide in, making him April’s male Athlete of this Month.