Magnusson Shows Spirit and Pride

Kayli Sandoval, Staff Writer

Cheerleading isn’t all smiles and easy-going fun. Not only do you represent your school, you also represent the teams you’re cheering for, all while trying to maintain good grades, a social  life and even a job.

Cheer Captain Claire Magnusson is the has been cheering since she was in middle school. Magnusson said, “I’ve wanted to be a high school cheerleader since I was a little girl. I’d go to sports games with my dad and watch the girls on the sidelines, dreaming of one day being like them.”

Magnusson explained, “One of my good friends started competitive cheer a year before I did. I became interested in trying out for her team and sat in on practices and went to competitions. After my first season [on Cheer Matrix, a competitive cheer team], I decided to devote my time to high school cheer instead and tried out for the JV team.”

Magnusson has now been on UC High’s Cheer Team for four years; one on JV and three years on varsity. She is now one of the captains of the team and feels very lucky to have this position. As a captain, it is important to unify the team and care for each member of the team. Sophomore Maya Ercolano said, “She really cares about everybody. She makes us all better as a team, and she is very dedicated.”

Playing the sport of cheer takes true dedication, as they practice every day from August 1 to the middle of February and perform at all football games, basketball games, community service events, and at school functions, such as pep rallies. Ercolano said, “She makes sure all of us are ready and prepared and gets us all pumped up to show off and make JV look at us like role models.”

Coach Mark Keller said, “Claire is a very passionate cheerleader that puts the team’s needs before her own. She continuously strives to improve on her own abilities, while always being there for her teammates. Cheerleading takes a tremendous amount of dedication, effort, athleticism, and teamwork to make every game the best it can be. Claire puts in the extra work to make our team the best they can be.”

According to a website dedicated to cheer life, “Cheering at games can be different at every high school, but the spirit is always high… No matter what school you cheer for or how many athletic teams your squad supports, the spirit range is always topnotch at the high school level” (Varsity.com).

Each cheerleader definitely has to be someone who helps the crowd get rowdy. “It’s a great way to become involved in student life and spread school spirit,” said Magnusson.

Without cheerleaders like Magnusson on the sidelines, the student section wouldn’t be so hyped up! Cheerleaders are important to our school and deserve to be recognized for their efforts.