Don’t Make Halloween a Super Spreading Event

Sevilla Tovar, News Editor

COVID-19 is still finding its way into holiday plans. Nyack and Terrytown are two towns in New York State that throw annual Halloween parades, complete with street performers, floats, costumes and more. However, this won’t be the case for the upcoming Halloween season; the two parades have been canceled due to concerns about Covid. The truth is, Coronavirus is still very much a threat, and this upcoming Halloween is better off spent on the safe side.

Covid’s effect is very clear. In August, it was decided that schools would be able to reopen and allow students to attend, with masks and attempted social distancing. However, those boundaries were not enough; as of September 27, about 2,200 in-person schools had closed across 539 school districts (info.burbio.com). 

Saying that Americans aren’t taking the pandemic seriously wouldn’t be far from the truth. According to USA Today, “COVID-19 cases are still spreading throughout the country. On Labor Day, daily coronavirus infections were more than four times what the U.S. saw on the holiday last year” (usatoday.com). Sophomore Michael Kozma stated, “I don’t think we ever took it seriously to begin with, but I definitely don’t think we’re taking it seriously now.”

How will this affect one of America’s favorite holidays? Especially considering that the majority of the participants will be under the age of vaccination? Theater Teacher and Director Nia Hilton believes a safe holiday can be ensured if everybody does their part. She said, “Everyone will have to be careful about going outside this Halloween. We know that masks, vaccines, and social distancing are our best protectors right now, and adjustments have to be made.”

What about the vaccine? Immunization is a huge advantage against getting infected and seriously sick. According to Forbes, “Those fully vaccinated were still around five times less likely to get infected, over ten times less likely to get hospitalized, and over ten times less likely to die from Covid-19” (forbes.com). Additionally, the three major vaccines used in the United States have effectiveness ranging from 66 to 91 percent (mayoclinic.org).

Despite the advantage of being vaccinated, Covid is a higher risk than ever. The new Delta variant has uprooted the tranquility brought by the Covid vaccine and with good reason. The new variant is incredibly transmittable and dangerous to everyone, vaccinated or not. According to the United Nations Children’s Fund, “The vaccines protect most people from getting sick, but no vaccine is 100 percent effective” (unicef.org). The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention added, “The Delta variant is highly contagious, more than two times as contagious as previous variants.” What does this mean in terms of vaccination? The CDC said, “People infected with the Delta variant, including fully vaccinated people with symptomatic breakthrough infections, can transmit the virus to others.” Even if someone is fully vaccinated, they can still pass the virus on to more vulnerable groups without their knowledge (cdc.gov).

Halloween is a day that brings people together for a scary and entertaining time. This year, it is better off to show compassion by staying safe and staying with household members. This pandemic has shown humans’ perseverance and creativity. Hilton said, “I had a neighbor last Halloween that constructed a chute out of toilet paper rolls, with one end at her door and the other end at the sidewalk so she could give out candy without coming into contact with people.” While this is one of the most isolating times people will endure in their lives, it is important not to give up previously set standards. That way, the global pandemic can finally be brought to an end.