Support Your Class With Fundraisers

Stephanie Carreto, Staff Writer

Prom is usually not on your mind until senior year, and most times you are thinking about what to wear, where you will take pictures, and whether or not you will have a date. However, not many think about the fundraisers that contribute to the last dance of your high school career — but you should.

Why is this relevant? According to Junior Class President Catie Bride, the proceeds made from each class fundraiser go toward Prom. Although some fundraisers are more popular than others, the most popular fundraisers make about 20 to 30 dollars, according to Senior Class Vice President Nicole Andico. This may seem like a relatively low amount of money, but every dollar builds over the years — especially if you have been contributing since your freshman year. It’s also important to think about how nice you want your Prom to be. Imagine having an underfunded rinky dinky Prom that didn’t have enough money to make an impressionable end-of-the-year blowout.

Fundraisers are also a great way to spend time with friends while supporting your class. According to Senior Jade Glawe, she often times goes to fundraisers with her friends so she can support her class of 2018. “I usually go to Tapex, because it is nearby, convenient, and my friends and I enjoy going there,” added Glawe.

Putting on a fundraiser is no simple task, and Bride explained the process of reaching out to local businesses for potential fundraiser opportunities: “We go to them with the date, the time, and how many people we think will go.’’ Having a realistic amount of profit for the business in mind is also necessary, because if the profit is low, most businesses will not want to host a fundraiser for UC High, Bride added.

Fewer fundraisers mean fewer funds to contribute to the big dance of the year. You probably have other things to worry about, but attending class fundraisers should be a priority. So gather a few friends, save a couple bucks, and go to more fundraisers! Trust me, you won’t regret it when you’re dancing the night away at Prom.