Column 7

Kennedy Wilson, Editor-In-Chief

It’s that time of year again… Ah, yes! The weather is warming up, students are burning out, and senioritis is in full-swing. I mean I’m not saying that I condone it, but we already know where we are going to college, we have almost all our credits; at this point it’s just a waiting game and frankly, it feels like a waste of time.

The beginning of senior year is rough.  The mixture of applying to colleges, trying to get those last few classes needed for A-G and just knowing that this upcoming school year is going to be filled with a lot of lasts; it’s rough.  So don’t we deserve a break?  A time to be good and lazy, and kick our feet up — to say “we’ve gotten this far isn’t that enough?”

I could go on for pages about how little I do these days at school, or more accurately how little I want to do, but to be honest, that sounds like a lot of work in itself. We all have those teachers that we use to skate by, we have those teachers that we do last night’s reading on the way to class (if we do it at all), and for the senioritis-sickened, we have those teachers who actually make us do work still; oh the humanity!

And our teachers may argue that our lack of showing up to class, whether it be for reasons physical or mental, is due to laziness, but I’d like to think of it as a coping method. It is our only real break before the intensity of college; we deserve at least that… Please?

Thankfully some teachers understand, Mrs. Bristol even inspired me to write this article and, as my English teacher Mr. Jason says, “At this point in the year, we are running on fumes.” I don’t even know if I’d go as far as that, because after being here for almost four years, I feel utterly out of gas.

We all experience it different ways; there was a kid in my math class I didn’t see for an entire month. Some people hide out in ceramics, which is understandable; if you are going to be at school, art class is at least a little tolerable. Sometimes taking a home period can be a life-saver; I am speaking from experience on that one. Maybe all you can do is set goals for yourself: “This week I will really try to be there everyday… Or at least four.”

Senioritis is a right of passage. After all our hard work, we just want to be lazy and try to enjoy these last few months before we are off to college, leading new lives. The thought of leading a completely new life in  matter of months sounds exhilarating and also exhausting.