Art Attack: ArtsTECH Students Celebrate Art, Media With Show

Back to Article
Back to Article

One of the many pieces of chalk artwork displayed on the cement in the west quad area. This piece was created by Sophomores Hailey Muniz, Dave Miranda, Rebecca Rittman, and Haley McCarthy. The piece is titled, “Fire Spirit.”

Courtesy of Principal Jeff Olivero

Courtesy of Principal Jeff Olivero

Courtesy of Principal Jeff Olivero

Rachel Stodolsky and Sydney Lemkul, Staff Writers

On Thursday, May 24, 2018 from 6:00 to 8:00 pm, UC High’s ArtsTECH students put on a show called Art Attack to display their creative pieces in front of friends and family.

ArtsTECH and English Teacher Aaron Pores, one of the directors of Art Attack explained, “This event gives ArtsTECH seniors a leadership role in organizing a big event, but what makes it cool is that our students get to display their artwork, screen their films, and play music they’ve produced.”

“This year, we included all of the art classes outside the academy, as well as holding live art demonstrations throughout the school day, to celebrate the visual arts. We are also participating in a research study this year, for which we receive extra funding to use for events. So, there was a free, fully-catered taco cart with enough food for at least 150 people. We were hoping to pack the house,” said Pores.

He continued, “This event was started by [former UC High teacher] Lauriel Adsit, about 10 years ago, because the school district asked us to display some work at a CTE event, and she felt like we could take it up a notch by doing a huge event at the school. Every year since,  it’s been changed a little bit to fit the needs and ideas of each graduating class.”

“My favorite part is watching the parents and siblings check out the students’ art,” Pores said. “I always love putting on art shows, and this is sometimes the first art show that our students take part in. It’s a special moment in many of their lives,” stated Pores. “It also brings together the community around something multifaceted and entertaining. As [a teacher of many of the kids displaying artwork], I even get to be surprised by some of the projects.”

“Since this is a DIY [do-it-yourself] event put on by a couple of teachers and a group of students, it takes some organization, time management, and sweat, so for ‘future’ artists, they can see how to do it themselves,” Pores stated.

Pores explained, “They learn that no one will care about them, or ‘discover’ them unless they aren’t shy, are face to face with the public, self-promote, and put on their own events.”

Junior Quincy Stone said, “I presented an art piece. It is a drawing of a Dragon Ball Z character that I made. I chose it because it is one of my best pieces yet. My favorite part was finally being done with it because it took so much work and time.”