Students Walk Out in Solidarity with Victims and in Support of Gun Control

Junior Hasheem Osman, Sophomores Rigo Lopez, Natalie Perez-Hall, Monique Gonzalez, Emily Burns, Melina Walker, Mohamed Hassan and Jaylen LeFear, and Freshman Hansen Lee (top to bottom, left to right) hold up signs during Wednesday’s walkout to display love and support for victims.

Hope Denison

Hope Denison

Hope Denison, Staff Writer

On March 14, UC High students walked out of class at 10 a.m. for 17 minutes in a show of solidarity with the victims who lost their lives at the Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School shooting in Parkland, Florida, on Valentine’s Day 2018. Many participants also walked out as a protest against gun violence.   

Freshman Cole Tessitore said, ”I think the walkout was a great opportunity to show that kids and students can make an impact on gun control issues without the help of adults.”

Senior Colin Grubensky stated, “I attended the walkout in honor of the 17 kids that were murdered. I believe we need to have a change in America.”

“The reason the walkout was so important is because we were fighting fire with peace. We were protesting the silence the government has placed on the victims of these awful events by standing up and letting our voices be heard,” explained Sophomore Bridget Cass.

Senior Lula Cotsirilos said, “The walkout was a good way for students to voice their opinions and practice political participation. It’s nice to see the younger generations get involved and take action since there is very little being done by Congress.”

Senior Randen Rizzo showcased his own point of view and said, “I believe everyone has their right to protest for their own reasons, but I believe our rights don’t change. The second amendment will stay the way it is.”

“I don’t want to be living somewhere where it’s easy for any kid to get a gun and come to our school with it,” stated Sophomore Mohammed Hassan.

Cass added, “One major thing I walked out [against] was the idea that teachers should carry weapons. Giving unqualified and unlicensed teachers firearms is fighting violence with more violence. Giving teachers firearms will not prevent these events from happening.”

Junior Allison Rose said, “The walkout was important, because it showed our government that we are serious about wanting gun control. We will not sit back and take the violence.”

“Greatly increasing gun control could markedly decrease the number of mass shootings from happening in the first place. That is why I walked out,” stated Cass.

Senior Grace Hartin said, “It was incredibly important for students to take a stand on the issue of gun control, because it has already affected so many young people, just like us, time and time again.

Rose added,  “We want a change and we will protest as much as we can to make the change.”

Sophomore Dusty Carr said, “I don’t care. I think that if people want to protest gun control they have a right to. What they are doing will not make a difference in my opinion.”

Hartin added, “We do not want to be in fear when we enter our schools. With this march, we demanded Congress and the president make policies that protect the people of this country and not just the groups that back them financially.”