Dungeons and Dragons Club: Strategic Roleplay

Dillon Carr, Staff Writer

The Dungeons and Dragons Club, inspired by the roleplaying game, and also known as D and D Club, is a new club here at UC High and meets on Wednesdays at lunch, and after school, in room 205.

The club’s members decided to create the club to further pursue their love for the game. Members play and converse about the Dungeons and Dragons Universe, according to Club President Freshman Henry Hays.

According a website about Dungeons and Dragons, “The Dungeons and Dragons roleplaying game is about storytelling in worlds of sword and sorcery. It shares elements with childhood games of make-believe. Like those games, D and D is driven by imagination. Unlike a game of make-believe, D and D gives structure to the stories, a way of determining the consequences of the adventurers’ action” (dnd.wizards.com).

To play, “Players roll dice to resolve whether their attacks hit or miss or whether their adventurers can scale a cliff, roll away from the strike of a magical lightning bolt, or pull off some other dangerous task. The adventurers can solve puzzles, talk with other characters, battle fantastic monsters, and discover fabulous magic items and other treasure” (dnd.wizards.com).

According to Club Advisor David West, the club is very welcoming to new participants. The club splits into three groups and West lets the students have the room and allows them to play their games.

Hays explained that the “Dungeon Master” will provide players with a situation. Players get to choose what to do about it and are capable of doing anything they want, as long as the storyline given by the Master is followed.

“There is no objective to the game. You just do whatever you want,” said Hays. “We play Dungeons and Dragons often, and a lot of times we are just messing around,” he continued.

“The game is complicated and easy at the same time. There are a lot of rules that only one person really needs to know and everyone else just follows along,” said Hays.

A room full of people is not necessary to enjoy Dungeons and Dragons. According to the official Dungeons and Dragons website, the game can also be played on the computer. In the computer version, one’s play style and character can be customized. The game tells players what their characters’ statistics are and allows players to create weapons for their characters (ddo.com).

Hays stated, “Your character has its own statistics and you can download the app, [which also keeps the statistics of characters].”

There are many options when playing Dungeons and Dragons. “You can be the good guy, the bad guy, or you could do nothing,” said Hays.