Bye Bye Birdie Musical to Premiere April 3

Junior Robyn Wilkinson as Kim MacAfee connects with Senior Ricardo Felix as Conrad Birdie for the first time after being selected as the lucky girl who gets a kiss before he goes off to war.

Helen Tadesse

Helen Tadesse

Jazveline Martinez, Staff Writer

Members of UC High’s theater program, along with other UC High students, are putting together a production of the musical Bye Bye Birdie to be performed at the school auditorium during the first week of April.

According to the Parade Magazine website, Bye Bye Birdie is a stage musical written by Author Michael Stewart. Elvis’s experience inspired the plot of this musical, in which a famous singer named Conrad Birdie is drafted into the military (parade.com).

Senior Ricardo Felix, who plays the role of Conrad Birdie explained, “This play is about a famous Elvis Presley-esque singer who is being drafted into the war despite all of his fans that want him to stay. His manager decides to profit off this event by having him deliver ‘One Last Kiss’ to one randomly selected girl from across the United States.”

“Kim MacAfee, who is my character, is this teen girl chosen to kiss Conrad Birdie right before he goes off to the army,” said Junior Robyn Wilkinson.

“This musical takes place in the late 1950s, well 1958 to be exact. It follows the plot of two main characters who are trying to rein in their star, who has been drafted in the army,” said Junior Logan Quessenberry, who plays the role of Albert Peterson, Birdie’s agent.

Felix said, “There is rehearsal every single day from Monday to Friday, usually lasting around three to six hours.”

“We started out in February, going through all of the scenes. Now we’re running through all of the scenes again trying to get deeper into the characters and what’s going on in the scenes. Then we’ll have tech week, where we work doing full run-throughs of the musical. And lastly, it’s show week,” said Quessenberry

The members of the musical are trying their best to stick right to the script and not drift too far off. Quessenberry added, “When you pay to perform these musicals, you have to pay for rights to perform them. Then they send people over to audit your performances and make sure you’re not straying too far from the script. If you stray too far from the script it violates some sort of copyright laws.”

“It’s a comedy; it is like a family-oriented musical. There’s a lot of irony in it, with a bunch of crazy situations that happen with different couples and a lot of teen drama,” said Wilkinson.

“Mr. Moody found us a costume designer who is willing to give up time for free to sew all the costumes. So we have custom-designed costumes based on the fashion styles of the 1950s, which is the first time [we’ve had] custom made costumes custom fitted to our cast,” said Quessenberry.

Wilkinson explained that all the funds from fundraising and tickets sold are going towards the Theater Club, so none of the cast members have to donate money.

Felix also added, “The musical Bye Bye Birdie will be performed on April 3, 4, 5, and 6 of 2018 at 7:00 p.m. Tickets will be on sale on April 3 for 5 dollars, and for 7 dollars on April 4 to 6. You can reserve your seats or pre-order your tickets at the UC Performing Arts website.”