Wilkinson Selected to Attend Girls State

Megan Hudson, Staff Writer

Five female juniors from UC High were recently nominated as candidates in the running to attend the Girls State program, a summer camp in which girls from different schools come together to create their own government and each presents her own unique ideas. Out of the five candidates, one was selected to attend the camp during the summer of 2018.

Head Counselor Sherryl Godfrey nominated the five junior girls for the program. Junior Robyn Wilkinson was selected the overall winner, chosen to be present at the Girls State summer program. “I felt very honored to be nominated for the program, and especially, to be the delegate. Since there are so many amazing and deserving girls at our school, being considered means a lot,” stated Wilkinson.

Wilkinson explained how she is excited to be a part of the program and be able to learn about politics: “The program teaches you about the way government in America works, and basically simulates what goes into building a city, county, and eventually a state.”

According to the Girls State official website, “Each summer, approximately 16,000 young women participate in weeklong ALA Girls State programs across the nation. Every American Legion Auxiliary Girls State program operates with the same patriotic values through a nonpartisan curriculum where students assume the roles of government leaders, campaigning in mock parties (often called ‘Federalists’ and ‘Nationalists’) to become mayors and county and state officials of their ALA Girls State” (alagirlsstate.com) .

“The program is a weeklong immersive learning experience, often held on a college campus where girls live in ‘cities’ within a dormitory-like setting,” explains the official website. The Girls State program is sponsored by the American Legion Auxiliary, a national organization that works to help veterans and educate adolescents about government  (alagirlsstate.com).

The website also states that the main purpose for this leadership program is to provide an educational, informative, and fun experience for the young women of the nation that is all about the principles of American government (alagirlsstate.com).

The Girls State program in California is sponsored by the California chapter of the organization. According to the website for the California Girls State program, “The American Legion Auxiliary’s California Girls State is a leadership program designed to increase awareness and knowledge of governmental processes while teaching young women about the duties, privileges, rights and responsibilities of citizenship.” The website also states that this year’s program will be hosted at the campus of Claremont McKenna College (cagirlsstate.org).

UC High’s runner up, Junior Bella Hall stated, “If anything happens to the winner, if she cannot go for some reason, I go as the runner-up.”

The camp will be filled with junior girls who all share the same motivation and excellence. According to Wilkinson, “The main idea of the program is to encourage women to create change in America through the government and to educate girls about politics, laws and leadership.”

Nominee Marijke Van Der Geer explained that the program also promotes the skill of leadership. Van Der Geer explained that attendees will have the opportunity to make their own government at the camp and have discussions about government.