Asuncion Steps Up to Take New Role as Athletic Director

Kate Wiggins, Staff Writer

Girls Varsity Basketball Coach and Math Teacher David Asuncion stepped up to become the new athletic director this year at UC High after Lieutenant Colonel Brian Josten left to become a vice principal at Vista High.

“I’m always up for a good challenge, and I’ve always thought that I would be an athletic director at some point,” said Asuncion. Asuncion explained that he has been involved with sports his whole life, and he enjoys being a part of the athletics department.

“Being so new to the job, and to quote the old athletic director, ‘It’s like drinking from a fire hose.’ I am learning a lot of new things but I would like to maintain what we have going on here at UC High. I will do anything I can to better the athletic experience here,” said Asuncion.

“I think David has a lot of experience. He’s coached many sports and has been at several schools, and I think he will do well. He has a great relationship between himself and the school,” said Varsity Wrestling Coach Eddie Hernandez.

Hernandez thinks that if Asuncion does a good job, it will turn into a permanent position for him.

“He’s one of our newer teachers. He came to us just last year, but he has definitely stepped it up and has taken on a lot of responsibility in the short time that he has been here. Having had coached boys lacrosse last year and girls basketball this year, he has shown himself to be very responsible,” said Vice Principal Michael Paredes.

Paredes added that by the end of this year, Asuncion and he will decide if this will be a position that he will continue to do.

“I feel like it was a good fit. I’m excited to have him in that role, and I think he is going to do a really good job,” said Paredes.

“Being fairly new to the school, I worked with Josten for the beginning of the basketball season. I think he was very organized and he kept me informed on things I needed to know as a coach. I hope to do the same for our coaching staff,” Asuncion explained.

“Learning the position has taken some time. The change between winter and spring sports is a big change. I have to clear athletes, check eligibility, and make sure coaches are ready for the season. I also have to make sure that I maintain the budget that was set forth for me when I took the position,” said Asuncion.

“The interim title is for the rest of this year. My plan is to keep my position for a while, but I’m very happy right where I am,” concluded Asuncion.