UC High’s Anti-Defamation League Promotes Kindness

Megan Hudson, Staff Writer

UC High’s Anti-Defamation League (ADL) Club is dedicated to making all UC High students feel comfortable on campus, promoting kindness and stopping bullying.

According to the Junior Treasurer Carmen Rocha, ADL Club does all that they can to ensure that students are not feeling judged, nor intimidated. Club members attend events that support anti-bullying. Rocha explained that they are trying to publicize their new club and push it out to the student body. They hope to inform more people about the ADL Club and what it supports.

According to their official website, “Founded in 1913, the Anti-Defamation League (ADL) is our nation’s premier civil rights/human relations organization. We have a distinguished history of reminding the world just how tenuous civil rights are and we mobilize people to engage in reasonable discourse as together we find solutions to serve our diverse society” (adl.org).

The ADL Club welcomes all UC High students and encourages students to show compassion to one another, explained Junior Vice President Ari Weizman.

“We sometimes do ADL trainings and we do different activities with different schools and different groups of people with the message of spreading love. We go out to different schools and show teachers how to communicate better with students. We also do a lot of bonding exercises,” explained Junior President Esther Vo

ADL Club also helps solve conflicts on campus. According to Weizman, “We do presentations for both teachers and students in order to help settle disputes and resolve conflicts.”

Weizman also said that the ADL Club is there for anyone needing a safe place at school. The whole goal of the club is to establish a welcoming and friendly environment, she added.

The official ADL website explains, “We are activists, educators and experts. We fight anti-Semitism and all forms of hate” (adl.org).