Construction Continues: Front Office and Facilities

Helen Tadesse, Staff Writer

On January 8, construction workers began the first phase of new work to improve facilities at UC High, and according to the site modernization summary, the construction is scheduled to last until summer 2019.

Beginning in May, the front office staff will be temporarily moved to the Media Center while the office building undergoes construction, according to the summary. “Pretty much the entire office staff and counseling staff will be moved [into the Media Center] when they do the front office construction,” said Vice Principal Michael Paredes.

According to Principal Jeff Olivero, after the switch, the library will most likely be shut down during lunch due to the additional staff working out of the Media Center. “We’ll probably keep access to the lab areas with the computers, but  just not the general seating area, because there will be office staff working.”

Some office staff members will be working from the tables in the common area of the Media Center. “It’s going to be different,” explained Olivero.

Paredes added that the office updates will include real walls for the counselors’ offices, instead of the existing cubicles, to ensure more privacy.

Along with the office updates, new improvements to the 600 building, and 200 building, will take place over the summer of 2018. These will include improvements to the auditorium, teacher’s lounge, restrooms, and common areas.

The 400 building will then undergo improvements to its restrooms, common areas, and labs in fall 2018. These updates are scheduled to be finished before school resumes in 2019.

Regarding the restroom renovations, Olivero said, “I know they will bring them up to  specifications required by the American Disabilities Act (ADA).” According to an article on ADA accessibility guidelines for restrooms, “Enacted in 1990, the Americans with Disabilities Act makes it illegal to discriminate against people with disabilities. As part of the ADA, guidelines were established to ensure equal access to public facilities and services to people with disabilities. The ADA sets out design and engineering standards to make public restrooms … accessible to disabled people” (smallbusiness.chron.com).

According to the site modernization summary, over the summer of 2019, updates to the kitchen and gymnasium will take place, and be ready for use when school starts the following fall. These will include updates to the locker rooms and activity room. New science lab flooring will also take place in the 400 building over the summer of 2019.