Fortieth Annual Holiday Bowl to be Celebrated in San Diego

Kayli Sandoval, News Editor

San Diego County Credit Union (SDCCU) Stadium, formerly Qualcomm Stadium, will host the Fortieth Annual Holiday Bowl, an intense match-up between college football teams from the Pac-12 and Big Ten Conferences in the postseason, on Thursday, December 28.

On December 3, the two teams being matched up were announced. According to the official Holiday Bowl wesite, the number 16 Michigan State University Spartans will be competing against number 18 Washington State Cougars for the Holiday Bowl championship.

SDCCU will also sponsor the events leading up to the big game. According to San Diego Union Tribune Reporter Jay Posner, bowl officials announced that this year’s game will be televised by Fox Sports 1 — rather than ESPN — with kickoff set for 6 p.m. (sandiegouniontribune.com).

The official Holiday Bowl website says, “In the 2016 Holiday Bowl, the Minnesota Golden Gophers shut down the highly-touted Washington State Cougars offense for a 17-12 victory” (holidaybowl.com).

There are a few other events that lead up to the big game, “The scenic, bayside streets of downtown San Diego will come alive with the Port of San Diego Holiday Bowl Parade presented by National Funding! As always, this exciting family event brings together world-class marching bands, magnificent floats, entertaining drill teams, and a procession of enormous balloons – more than any other parade! Over 100,000 street-side spectators will enjoy the parade along with a nationwide television audience.” The parade will take place at 10 a.m.  (holidaybowl.com).

The Holiday Bowl official website describes that the night before the big game, a Battle of the Bands takes place at 6 p.m.at Horton Plaza Park: “Festivities for the San Diego County Credit Union Holiday Bowl kickoff in downtown San Diego’s Gaslamp District.  Marching bands and spirit squads from the participating universities will perform and meet for a heart-pounding Battle of the Bands. The pep rally atmosphere of the Carrier Johnson + Culture Holiday Bowl Marching Band Showcase is fun for the whole family. The event is free for the public” (holidaybowl.com).

Thirty minutes before the game starts, the Pregame Spectacular kicks off, according to the official schedule on the Holiday Bowl website: “The Pregame Spectacular features heart-pounding performances by both university marching bands, spectacular pageantry, parachute jumpers and, of course, it wouldn’t be the San Diego County Credit Union Holiday Bowl without The Big Flag, the football field size American Flag.” Right after the end of the second quarter, the Dr Pepper/Stater Bros. Halftime Show continues the excitement as world class pageantry, marching bands, and fireworks perform and occur” (holidaybowl.com).

Junior Colin Ruthenburg explained, “I like seeing the atmospheres that the different schools bring and the environment between the different colleges.”

Twenty-five minutes before “America’s Largest Balloon Parade” starts, the twenty-third annual Solar Turbines 5K at the port of San Diego Holiday Bowl Parade will take place along San Diego’s harbor front, explains the official Holiday Bowl website (holidaybowl.com).

According to a website on active lifestyles that informs the general public  on upcoming runs, “[The run] will start on the corner of Harbor Drive and Ash Street, run along the Port of San Diego Holiday Bowl Parade Route, and finish near Tuna Harbor Park. Athletes will run past 100,000 spectators. Runners, families, and spectators can watch the remainder of the Port of San Diego Holiday Bowl Parade, which features colorful floats, marching bands, and huge inflatable characters. Awards are three deep in all divisions” (Active.com).