Shake Shack: East Coast Fast Food Chain Now Open at UTC

Lines wrap around the building on the second day of business after opening.

Luke Minnick

Luke Minnick

Emma Truchan, Staff Writer

The New York-based burger restaurant Shake Shack opened last Friday in its new location in the Westfield UTC mall this year to expand their locations.

On the official Shake Shack website, it says “Shake Shack is heading southward to San Diego in 2017… The Westfield UTC Shack will offer all the Shake Shack classics… Plus, there will be frozen custard concretes featuring local San Diego food purveyors” (shakeshack.com).

Shake Shack describes themselves as a “modern day ‘roadside’ burger stand [that] serves up the most delicious burgers, hot dogs, frozen custards, shakes… and more” (shakeshack.com).

According to the burger joint’s website, Shake Shack already has five branches in the Los Angeles area and has expanded to areas across the United States, but this will be their first appearance in San Diego (shakeshack.com).

UTC Customer Services said the new location is planned to open near the ArcLight theater around the center of the mall.

Senior Allison Busch, who is an employee at Lemonade at the UTC location, said, “I don’t think it will be competition for food stores like Lemonade, because we sell a different kind of food than Shake Shack. It definitely will be a rival for places like Red Robin and Johnny Rockets, though, because they both sell things like burgers and shakes.” She continued, “Other places will have less business, but it means more job opportunities for teenagers.”

UTC Customer Services said, “Shake Shack will definitely attract a lot of business for the first week, because for a lot of locals, this will be the first time trying Shake Shack. But as time goes on, people will probably return to their old favorites, so it shouldn’t hurt other businesses too harshly.”

“When I went to Shake Shack [at a different location], I ordered a ‘Shroom Burger, a side of fries, and a Banana Post Rd. custard. It was really good, and I had a really good experience when I ate there,” said Freshman Kate Papen.

Papen went on to say that despite the quality of the food, she believes that other chains have similar items for better prices. “I would say the flavors are better than In-N-Out, but I would probably choose In-N-Out over Shake Shack due to prices,”  explained Papen.

The UTC location is accepting applications for the positions of  “Restaurant Team Member in food service, cashier, and cook… Restaurant Team Manager is open for applicants [as well]” (shakeshack.com).

“That sounds super cool; I’m excited, because I really love shakes,” said Sophomore Melina Walker. Walker added that she plans on going often, due to the restaurant’s close proximity to the school.