• What is Saint Patrick's Day really about? See the Features Page!

UC High Holds Awards Ceremonies to Honor Students at All Grade Levels

Julia Murphy, Staff Writer

This year’s thirty fourth annual UC High Award Ceremonies took place on May 25 from 6 to 8 p.m. in the gym, for the seniors, and on May 31 during period six in the Auditorium, for underclassmen.

“The two-hour-long Senior Award Ceremony’s purpose was to acknowledge the seniors for the accomplishments they have achieved these last four years at UC High,” said Parent Liaison Marie Byrd.

“Senior students either received a department award or a scholarship award. Teachers nominated students for the department awards, while scholarships were self-reported. Memorial scholarships are different from regular scholarships because they are handpicked by counselors and/or families,” explained Counselor Kelsey Bradshaw.

“The awards ceremony for the underclassman, lasting just under an hour, was held to honor the ninth, tenth, and eleventh grade students who have excelled in academics, or made major contributions to our campus,” explained AP Government Teacher Michele Fournier.

“The seniors were separated from the other classes because this is the senior’s final hurrah here at UC High, and we wanted them to feel special in what they have achieved. Some of the awards included in the ceremony were scholarship awards and teacher recognition awards,” stated Bradshaw.

“Not every senior is given an award, so invitations were sent home and passed out during school hours. This gave the students and parents enough time to plan accordingly for the ceremony’s date and time,” explained Bradshaw.

“Even though this was an invitation only event, all staff members were welcome and encouraged to come,” added Bradshaw.

Fournier said, “The ceremony award titles change from year to year, because students may apply for scholarships or win awards that haven’t been won by a UC High student in the past.”

“If a student receives an award one year, it doesn’t necessarily mean they are guaranteed one the following year. Teachers choose students they felt deserved recognition based on performance in the current year’s classes,” added Fournier.

According to Bradshaw, “The Senior Award Ceremony hasn’t changed much throughout the years. Even though the format is very similar to past years, the number of seniors receiving awards changes depending on the year.”

“All seniors were required to wear business casual attire to the ceremony. Whereas all underclassmen had to follow the school dress code since the ceremony happened during school hours,” stated Bradshaw.