• What is Saint Patrick's Day really about? See the Features Page!

Staff and Student Minds Collide in Battle of The Brains

Seniors+Nathaniel+Stewart%2C+Sarah+Samora%2C+Zena+Traganza%2C+and+Kailey+Withers+were+members+of+the+student+team+for+Battle+of+the+Brains+competition.+
Seniors Nathaniel Stewart, Sarah Samora, Zena Traganza, and Kailey Withers were members of the student team for Battle of the Brains competition.

Julie Whitehill

Julie Whitehill

Julie Whitehill, Staff Writer

UC High’s annual Battle of the Brains was held on May 30 at 7 p.m. in the Media Center, where graduating seniors and staff dueled against each other in an academic competition.

Google explains that “Battle of the Brains is a quizbowl show.” A quizbowl is when two teams compete head-to-head on subjects like history, literature, science, fine arts, sports, current events and pop culture (google.com).

“UC High’s Battle of the Brains was an exhibition Academic League match that pit the graduating seniors against some members of the staff,” said Teacher Phillip Huszar.

Senior Sarah Samora stated, “I’ve always loved quizbowl, so I felt like I had to continue that tradition with Academic League.” In UC High’s Battle of the Brains, the two teams that competed were the students and the staff.

“Battle of the Brains was a great opportunity to see UC High teachers and students outside of the normal student environment,” said Huszar.

According to Huszar, the doors opened at 6:45 p.m., and the match began shortly after 7:00 p.m. And according to Samora, admission was $3 with student ID and $5 without. There were two twenty-minute halves with a short break in between, so the event ended at around 8:15 p.m.

“Battle of the Brains has been happening for eight years,” stated Huszar. “This was the sixth time that I have competed.”

Samora said, “Mr. Huszar is really competitive. He can be a bit of a saboteur, but he is funny and sarcastic.”

Huszar explained, “I was on the Academic League team when I was in high school, so it is a bit of a passion of mine [to become a coach and participate].”

Samora stated, “I’ve been competing in Quizbowl tournaments since eighth grade.”

During game time, Samora said “…I felt focused, because I needed to concentrate in order to remember what I knew, yet answer the question in time.”

According to Huszar, the only prize, as with the staff versus seniors basketball and softball matches, is pride. However, the proceeds from the match go towards the Academic League team to pay for league registration, practice questions, and other things of that nature.