• What is Saint Patrick's Day really about? See the Features Page!

The Green Team Searches for Ways to Improve the School

UC High Green Team members come up with innovative ideas to help make the school more environmentally friendly.

Micahrae Osteria

Micahrae Osteria

Julie Whitehill, Staff Writer

The Green Team is a new unique club connected to UC High’s fairly new engineering program, comprised of students in the fifth period class.

“Green Team focuses on real world problems and how to make them better,” said Green Team Advisor James Richardson.

According to Richardson, Green Team is an organization that is “…in the framework of being a club. They [the students] work to make the world a better place.”

Richardson continued to explain how the students look at what can be impactful to the school, and do it. Students do things such as recycling and looking at ways to improve the school’s energy consumption.

“In Green Team, we come up with different ideas on how to make our school more environmentally friendly. The point is to come up with ideas that we can implement that will make a lasting impact on the school,” explained Junior Club Member Camryn Taub.

According to Richardson, there are around fifteen students participating, and in the future they even want to collaborate with the Recycling Club.

“Most people don’t know, but our school doesn’t recycle water bottles and other plastics. They only recycle paper. So, we want to get the school to start a water bottle and plastic recycling program. Since the school sells water bottles and Gatorade bottles, we believe that they should recycle those products, not just throw them away,” elaborated Taub.

“Mr. Richardson promotes any and all ideas. He’s always telling us not to give up on an idea just because it’s hard or we’ll take a while to implement,” said Taub.

“Right now, the engineering class is comprised of two groups: Engineering versus Programming and the Green Team. The whole first semester was about engineering and the second semester has been Green Team or Programming,” said Taub.

According to the Edutopia website, schools have a unique role in protecting the environment. They help students become advocates for the environment, protecting it for themselves and generations to come (edutopia.org).

Richardson said, “My goal is for the students to learn not to take no for an answer. If they want something to change, they should go for it.”