Global News: Tensions Rise Between Russia and Ukraine

Sevilla Tovar, News Editor

As tensions grow between the Russian and Ukrainian governments, the concerning possibility of a war between Russia and Ukraine, supported by countries who are part of the North Atlantic Treaty Organization (NATO), increases.

The menacing pressure of the Russia-Ukraine conflict has been building up over the years. According to the Council on Foreign Relations, the crisis in Ukraine began with protests in Kyiv (the capital city) in November 2013. The protests were against Ukrainian President Viktor Yanukovych’s decision to reject a deal that would lead to greater economic integration with the European Union (cfr.org). As a result, Russia invaded a part of Ukraine. According to CNN, “In March 2014, Russia annexed Crimea, an autonomous peninsula in southern Ukraine with strong Russian loyalties, on the pretext that it was defending its interests and those of Russian-speaking citizens” (cnn.com). Eventually, countries around the world agreed that the annexation was illegitimate.

The two countries agreed to a ceasefire in 2014 and 2015, but it didn’t stop the fighting, as more than 14,000 have been killed as a result of the conflicts, as per Euronews. The same source also added that despite the signed agreement, there have been repeated violations by Russia (euronews.com).

To protect Ukraine from its highly powerful neighbor, NATO increased their numbers of military troops in eastern countries such as Latvia and others in the Black Sea region. According to CNN, “Moscow sees the growing support for Ukraine from NATO in terms of weaponry, training, and personnel, as a threat to its own security. It has also accused Ukraine of boosting its own troop numbers in preparation for an attempt to retake the Donbas region of Russia, an allegation Ukraine has denied.” (cnn.com). Russia’s reaction is worrisome because the country sees any support for Ukraine as instigation towards Russia.

Russia has been setting the stage for invasion. According to the BBC, “Moscow accuses NATO countries of ‘pumping’ Ukraine with weapons and the US of stoking tensions to contain Russia’s development” (bbc.com). By framing Ukraine as wanting to invade, Russia would be able to justify its invasion of Ukraine first. The BBC continued, “The Pentagon has accused Russia of preparing a so-called false-flag operation, with operatives ready to carry out acts of sabotage against Russian-backed rebels, to provide a pretext for invasion. Russia has denied it” (bbc.com). 

The Russian leader’s refusal to budge has put uncountable lives in danger. According to an Arabic news channel Al Jazeera, Vladimir Putin strongly believes that Ukrainians are still a part of Russian civilization. He is referring to the countries’ unity during the Union of Soviet Socialist Republics, or USSR, which lasted almost 70 years and ended in 1991 (aljazeera.com). 

The United States is unsure to what degree they should be involved in the fight. According to the BBC, “President Biden has warned that a full-scale invasion would be a disaster for Russia. But if it was a minor incursion, he said controversially that the West would ‘end up having to fight about what to do’” (bbc.com). Sophomore Michael Kozma said, “I believe the US joining the conflict would be preemptive. I think diplomatic attempts should be made first.”

Russia and Ukraine have had an unstable relationship for decades. Although Ukraine now has allies around the world, it’s unsure how helpful it will be in the future from preventing invasion. Either way, it’s clear that this fight is far from over.