The Many Perks of Being Single

Cole Tessitore, Staff Writer

When someone admits that they are single, a wide array of reactions may be given in response: pity,  disbelief, or shock. And for the single person, there might even be shame. Why is it that being single is frowned upon or sometimes considered a social taboo? Sure, being in a relationship can bring happiness and joy, but being single can bring all of the same benefits as being in a relationship, just minus having a significant other.

Dating in general can be tricky to navigate, and being in high school makes love a lot more complicated. There are so many unwritten rules about dating, like how exes of friends are off limits or how you can’t date someone a friend is interested in. Not to mention what happens after happily-ever-after ends not so happily. 

Breakups can be messy and can cause drama, especially if you are romantically involved with someone from your friend group. This can lead to friends having to choose sides and may result in tears and feelings of betrayal. On the other hand, being single allows you to remain neutral and allows for friendly and positive relationships without the drama of being in a romantic warzone. Junior Hannah Griswold finds herself in a similar mindset of reaping the rewards of being single. “Being single allows you to build stronger friendships with people who consistently make you happy,” she explained.

According to Business Insider, a study conducted by social scientists found that single people have stronger social networks and are more likely to utilize their social networks by either asking for help from their peers or offering to help their peers (buisnessinsider.com). Being single doesn’t have to equate to being lonely; non-romantic relationships can be just as rewarding and exciting as romantic ones.

People often spend a lot of money on themselves, but add a significant other and expenses tend to skyrocket. There are a lot of occasions that traditionally require gift giving when someone is in a relationship: Valentines Day, birthdays, Christmas, and anniversaries are among them. Junior Camille Hicks described how money plays a pricey factor in relationships. “When you are in a relationship, it’s kind of an obligation to buy things for your significant other, like food and gifts,” she explained.

Teens and money don’t always work well together. Typically, money is spent on clothes, food, and other items that cause immediate gratification. Hicks added, “When you aren’t in a relationship, you don’t have to buy things for another person. Instead, you can just spoil yourself instead of someone else, and you end up having more money.” Being single eliminates all those occasions that require spending money on someone else and allows for easier financial stability.

Being in a committed relationship can be emotionally draining and suck all of the energy out of you, especially if problems arise or the relationship hits a rough patch. Being single consumes a lot less energy due to the fact all of your energy goes towards only yourself. Being by yourself doesn’t have to be isolating; in fact, it can be very productive. Junior Mika Asiag builds on the idea that being single allows for more personal time. “When you’re single, you can take time to reflect on yourself and focus on being a better person,” she explained. Personal care is essential, especially to anyone that has just gotten out of a relationship.

This time of reflection allows for figuring out who you are as an individual and prioritizes putting your own needs first. “To ensure emotional reliability, I aim to take days for my mental health where I treat myself, whether it be ensuring my homework is done or giving myself a relaxing face mask,” said Junior Zainab Subhi. Not only does being single ensure prioritizing personal care, but it can also help you when you are ready to jump back out into the dating pool.

Although being in a loving romantic relationship does have its perks, being single is just as great. Taking time to focus on yourself, financially and emotionally, is crucial to living a drama and stress-free life. Instead of focusing on being alone, focus on the perks of being single, take advantage of the benefits, and embrace being a single social butterfly.