The Hottest Trends This Spring Season

Back to Article
Back to Article

The Hottest Trends This Spring Season

Artwork by Avalon Owens

Artwork by Avalon Owens

Artwork by Avalon Owens

Artwork by Avalon Owens

Audrey Hancock, Staff Writer

Spring has finally sprung, and it’s time to start shedding our cold winter clothing and adjust before the scorching sun takes over this summer.

The fashion industry has been craving strictly bold and beautiful styles. From bright fluorescent colors to plain modern tones. Taking it back to the ‘70s, boho is still a major contributor to today’s spring fashion. Without breaking the bank, here are some affordable must-haves for spring that will spice up your wardrobe: the wear-with-everything bodysuit, tied tops, maxi dresses to skirts, flowy jeans with wide bottoms, and colored denim jackets, according to an Harper’s Bazaar magazine (harpersbazaar.com).

“You’re going to see crochet everywhere in three months as it rises up to be a new wardrobe staple. But no, we’re not talking about your grandma’s knit pieces or average boho crochet here. The look is modern and elevated, adding a dose of ‘70s cool to any look,” explains a website directed toward 2019 spring attire (whowhatwear.com).

Other than the light yellows, minty green, bright blues, and pungent oranges,  earthy tones are becoming a big hit. Some of these tones are ochre, sienna, off white, and umber. “Sure, colors galore stormed the runways, but one of the standout hues of the season just happens to be one of the subtlest and most down-to-earth. Designers dressed models in head-to-toe earth tones, proving that paring it back can actually make quite a statement,” said one reporter for the same fashion website (whowhatwear.com). Paring some tan slacks with a white or black top is the new hot.

To add a little flare to the ‘fit, add some cute flip flops or printed tennis shoes. Floral print and colored striped shirts are a statement and would match perfectly with white slip-on wedges. Senior Ashlyn Clint said, “One of my favorite brands I recommend is called Reformation. They use long-lasting sustainable material, are good for the earth and support those who don’t have jobs. If you think about it in the long run, it’s better you invest in something that’s really good quality. It will last you longer, and also make sure you know what you’re investing in, because it does matter.”

Men’s spring fashion can range from windbreakers, track jackets, knit polos, faded jeans, and even supper shorts. Leather and crochet are some trendy materials coming in for spring for men. “Lighten-up this season with jean that’s not only lighter in color, but also a denim that’s literally lighter in weight,” according to a website about men’s spring clothing (menshealth.com). There are a lot of choices you can choose from to make it your own.

If short shorts and slacks are not fancy enough for you, chinos are the go-to pant. “It’s the casual pant that works for many occasions and these days a perfect pair of chinos is easy enough to find, thanks to reasonably-priced brands with a high-quality product. Each chino has a stretch-blend fabric that allows for real-time action to conquer your day comfortably,” said Men’s Health magazine  (menshealth.com).

Vintage can be a new beginning for those that truly love enduring fashion. “The end game with fashion was quality over quantity, for reasons both financial and cultural, and it is not uncommon to find luxurious details like French seams, generous hems, and exquisitely crafted buttons on even the most basic of older vintage garments,” according to the Huffington Post (huffpost.com). “Martine Rose, Demna Gvasalia for Balenciaga and Vetements all demonstrated glamorous grunge in their ‘90s rave inspired looks, encouraging the decade’s ever-popular revival for Spring/Summer 2019,” says Vogue (vogue.fr).

So, get your wallets ready to spice up your attire this spring season. Whether you’ve got to raid your parents’ closets for their old ‘70s gear or hit the thrifts for some vintage shopping, keep these must-have items in mind to keep up with the trends!