What You Can Expect at This Year’s Comic-Con 2018

artwork by Stephanie Carreto

Emma Truchan, Staff Writer

This year’s Comic-Con is just around the corner, and from July 19 to July 22, you can join thousands of others in celebrating everything pop-culture; from comics, to novels, to movies, there is something for everyone at Comic-Con International: San Diego.

According to Comic-Con’s official website, the convention first started in 1970 with only about 100 attendees, and took place in the U.S. Grant Hotel in downtown San Diego, since then gaining enough popularity to be held annually in the San Diego Convention Center (comic-con.org). Yet, from humble beginnings came one of the most popular events in the nation, branching out to locations such as New York and hosting smaller events like Comic-Con Book Expo and WonderCon. Although the event has evolved into something bigger than anyone had originally imagined, the sense of community all things nerdy, hasn’t changed. Since the very beginning, Comic-Con has been a place for people to come together with all things pop-culture.

With many highly-anticipated superhero movies being released in the past year, including Avengers: Infinity War, Black Panther, and Deadpool 2, the convention is bound to be a bustling scene. Senior Katrina Berge volunteered at Comic-Con last year, and will be attending as a volunteer this year as well. “It was sort of hectic to sign up to volunteer for the first year, because it’s sort of a process. But now that I’ve done it one year, I have priority for following years,” said Berge. With only three hours a day being allotted for volunteering, Berge was able to attend the convention as a regular admitant afterwards. According to the San Diego Union-Tribune, the convention is expected to host over 130,000 guests this year, with tickets  selling out online in a mere hour and fifteen minutes  (sandiegouniontribune.com).

Comic-Con is a chance to meet many your favorite celebrities, so take advantage of the opportunity! Panels of actors from the hottest new shows typically attend, and many booths set up for critically-acclaimed authors to host book signings, and you will probably see movie stars meandering the exhibit halls themselves. “My friend and I stayed at one of the panels for hours and saw a lot of celebrities from the CW shows, like SuperGirl, Riverdale, the Flash, Arrow, and a couple others. It was really cool to see a lot of cast members from these shows in real life instead of on the screen,” said Berge. However, seeing celebrities is only part of the Comic-Con experience. There’s also other things you can do, like walk around the halls to simply look at other attendees adorned in their elaborate cosplay outfits, go on the hunt for free merchandise of your favorite show, or just geek out with new people.

Even if you weren’t lucky enough to snag a ticket to this year’s Comic-Con, the outside of the event can sometimes hold just as many chances to let your inner geek out, with booths set up around the perimeter of the Convention Center. According to an unofficial Comic-Con fan page, the events held on the exterior of the Convention Center completes the entire experience of attending the event (sdccblog.com). Even if you don’t  have enough luck, or enough cash, to attend this year’s Comic-Con, be sure to stop by downtown!

Comic-Con has become a big part of San Diego over the many years of its existence, and is a great way for a community of people with a shared adoration for popular culture to come together.