DIY Gift Ideas for the Perfect Mother’s Day

Kate Wiggins, Staff Writer

With Mother’s Day around the corner, finding the perfect gift for your mom can be a little tricky, especially if you’re on a low budget. A great idea to solve that issue is to make a gift yourself. Here are some DIY gift ideas that show a lot of affection, but won’t break your bank.

According to a website with DIY ideas, making an essential oil candle as a gift can be very affordable. All you need is pure beeswax, candle wicks, glass containers, and an essential oil of your choice. First, place the beeswax in the container and fill it to the top, but make sure to leave space for the oil! Place it in the microwave until the wax melts, but be careful, because the glass will definitely be hot. While the wax is still melted, add a few drops of your essential oil. Next, place the candle wick in the center. Now that the hard work’s all done, all you need to do is wait until the candle has completely set and cooled. Make sure you keep the wick centered while the wax is cooling, too (eatsleepbe.com).

If you want to provide your mom with a relaxing day, give her some good ol’ homemade bath salts. According to a DIY website, making bath salts is super simple and fun. All you need is Epsom salts, baking soda, an essential oil of your choice, food coloring (optional), and a storing container. Some ideas of essential oils you can use for relaxing bath salt scents are peppermint or lavender. Place the Epsom salt in a large bowl, then add the essential oil and food coloring to your liking. Heads up! Be careful with the food coloring — a little goes a long way. If you want to be extra fancy, add cute labels and tie bows with twine to add the perfect touch (lemonslavenderandlaundry.com).

This next idea is probably the easiest of them all. Consider making a “Reasons Why” jar for your mom. You could say “Reasons Why I Love You” or “Reasons Why You are the Best Mom in the World.” You could really choose any appreciative phrase at all. Simply write your reasonings for whatever you choose on small pieces of paper and put them in a jar. Jazz it up a little by adding decorations and a cute label. This idea is guaranteed to put a smile on any mother’s face.

“A handmade gift is better than a store-bought gift because it has sentimental value. It will be something that she will be able to look at in ten years and remember how she felt when you gave it to her,” said Senior Hope Adams.

Now, if you are really behind in getting a gift for your mom, your last resort is to clean, clean, clean! Because what mom doesn’t love a clean house?

Getting a gift for your mom on Mother’s Day is a thoughtful act, regardless of if you bought it or made it yourself. Remember, it’s the thought that counts when giving gifts!