Local Events to Check Out During April

Mina Orlic, Sports Editor

April showers bring May flowers, but that’s not all April has to offer. This April, there are many spectacular festivals taking place all throughout San Diego. Whether it’s the food, the music, the entertainment, or the company, there’s something for everybody.

From March 17 to April 15, SeaWorld is hosting a Seven Seas Food Festival, where you can try dozens of gourmet food samples as you walk around the park. According to the official SeaWorld website, the event features fresh cuisine featuring local, sustainable ingredients prepared by Executive Chef Axel Dirolf and his expert culinary team. Prices for the event are included with park admission: 25 dollars for 5 food tastings, 45 dollars for 10 food tastings, and 65 dollars for 15 food tastings (seaworld.com). If you are both a marine animal lover and a food enthusiast, this is the event for you.

For all the avocado aficionados out there, the Fallbrook Avocado Festival is the place to be on April 15. A website dedicated to local events says, “The Thirty-Second Annual Avocado Festival includes local artisans on the Artisan Walk on Alvarado, Cazadores Margaritas at the Main Stage area, featuring local talent, food, wine garde, local beer, community stage, kid’s zones, and Avocado Central (located in the center of the event) where avocados and trees can be purchased” (sandiego.org). The hour-long commute may seem like a hassle, but you can turn it into a fun day trip full of fresh and flavorful avocados!

The Annual San Diego Comic Fest is fast approaching as well. Held at the Town and Country Resort and the Convention Center from April 20 to 22, you can find an extensive program that highlights the many wonders of the comic book world.  As you would expect of a comic con, there will be panel discussions, guest programs, an artist alley, tabletop gaming, and cosplay. There will also be an exhibitor hall full of your favorite comics, books, toys, collectibles, and much, much more. All of this takes place in a relaxed setting that enables fans and professionals to hang out and enjoy good times talking about comics, science fiction, films, animation, and all the other things that fans love (sandiego.com).

To experience an entertaining day at the bay, head to the Fifth Annual San Diego Shaka Fest at Mission Bay.  Taking place on April 28, experience amazing events such as “…a youth-only canoe regatta, SUP [stand-up paddleboarding] race for adults and keiki’s [kids], stages of da kine Hawaiian and Tahitian entertainment, your favorite boutique vendors and island-inspired food vendors…” (sandiego.org). Not only is this an opportunity for great food and entertainment, but you also get to experience Polynesian culture.

This last one is for all the chocolate extremists of UC High. That’s right — there’s an Annual Chocolate Festival on April 29, held by the San Diego Maritime Museum. The San Diego Maritime website states that entertainment will include vendor showcasings, a make-your-own chocolate pizza station, and live baking and cooking with chocolate demonstrations, as well as maritime dancers aboard the Berkeley at designated times (sdmaritime.org). For a day full of chocolate, chocolate, and more chocolate, take a trip down to San Diego Bay and learn more about this delicious dessert.

Take the time out of your busy schedule this April to enjoy yourself at a festival — it’s a great way to spend your day with friends or family, as well as getting to eat, laugh, and maybe even learn something new.