2018 Winter Olympics in PyeongChang Make Headlines

artwork by Helen Tadesse

Jenna Harper, Features Editor

The 2018 Winter Olympics have finally arrived! It seems like just yesterday that we were barely entering into our teenage years, and we were celebrating in awe the accomplishments of the 2014 Winter Olympics of Sochi, Russia. What a throwback.

This year’s olympics are occuring in PyeongChang, South Korea, between February 9 and 25, according to Time Magazine (timeinc.net). The location is proving somewhat of a controversy due to the fear of and  political turmoil involving North Korea. According to CNN, the tensions between the US and North Korea threaten to overshadow the games (cnn.com). It looks like we’ll just have to wait and see what possible antics our President may become involved in, and anticipate the likely slew of Twitter notifications.

Regardless, these games are proving to be quite memorable. According to the official Olympics website, PyeongChang’s Winter Games’ plan is one of the most compact in Olympic history: “It offers a unique stage on which the world’s best athletes can achieve superior performances… the 2018 Olympic Winter Games will no doubt expose new generations of potential athletes to the power of winter sport” (olympics.org).

Sophomore Blaise Adona said, “I think it’s a fun event that the whole world can come together and celebrate and compete. It will be interesting to see how they do it in South Korea, especially with the events that have been happening with North Korea.”

In addition to the games being held in South Korea, the country also developed this year’s mascot. In the past we’ve met Bely Mishka the Polar Bear, Quatchi the Sasquatch, and Neve and Gliz the humanized snowball and ice cube — among many others. This year, we are pleased to welcome Soohorang the White Tiger (olympics.org).

Another factor that contributes to the originality of the location of each Olympic Games is the emblem used to represent the games. According to a website dedicated to the location of this year’s games, PyeongChang’s emblem “symbolizes a world open to everyone. It combines the images of ice and snow, winter sports stars (athletes), and people from all over the world, coming together in PyeongChang where heaven meets earth” (pyeongchang2018.com).

The Winter Olympic games consist of a total of 15 events. These include Alpine Skiing, Figure Skating, Bobsleigh, Curling, Snowboarding, and more. “I always look forward to watching the individual and partner skating competitions. Interpreting the skaters’ ultimate grace and how their movement shapes the atmosphere of the performance is also something I enjoy observing. Also, as a fairly uncoordinated person myself, the ease with which these athletes move over such a slippery surface always draws me in,“ explained Senior Jodie Nelson.

There is no doubt in anyone’s mind that with Trump in office, the proximity of North Korea, the new emblem, the new mascot, and all of the new competitors and originality factors, these 2018 Olympic games are one for the history books.

c