Experience the Latest Heart-Stopping Installment of the Insidious Franchise

artwork by Stephanie Carreto

artwork by Stephanie Carreto

artwork by Stephanie Carreto

Stephanie Carreto, Staff Writer

Being the fourth movie of the well-known franchise, Insidious: The Last Key was given a lot of publicity, and I was excited to see if it was worthy of the hype. I love horror movies, and not much scares me, but the well planned jump scares in this movie got me. They weren’t where you expected them to be, and that was quite refreshing.

Insidious: The Last Key follows the journey of psychic Elise Rainier (Lin Shaye) and her two technicians, Specs (Leigh Whannell) and Tucker (Angus Sampson), into her former – but still haunted – house. Rainier has many flashbacks to her childhood, that really draws the audience into her story. You grow to hate her abusive father (Josh Stewart), as he continuously demeans her and her ability to see spirits. The acting done by all the characters gave way to a range of reactions from the audience: pity, surprise, and even a few laughs. Hear me out. I know most people don’t usually laugh during horror movies, but there were a few cringe-worthy moments with Specs and Tucker, and their desperate attempts at flirting.

The one thing that does terrify me…Children. So you can only imagine the dread I felt when young Rainier told her little brother she could see dead people. However, no matter my personal feelings, this concept of seeing spirits is burnt out. With the dread came disappointment in the lack of plot originality.

Nonetheless, I loved the use of irony throughout the entire movie – it made the movie much more exciting. This gave the movie a suspenseful mood that I honestly wasn’t expecting. There were also some non-stereotypical plot twists. Seeing as many horror movies can be really predictable, it gave me something to look forward to throughout the movie.

Towards the end, there was a scene where the Red-Faced Demon pops out. Ok, sure, my heart skipped a beat, but I easily regained my composure and, once again, was disappointed. The quality of the makeup greatly lowered the intensity of the scare factor. I understand that it’s the main demon from the first Insidious movie, but compared to the main demon in this current one, the Red-Faced Demon reminded me of a last minute attempt to include a character in a cheap horror house. I don’t know about you, but the thought of having an actual key inserted into my vocal chords and turned to lock away my voice while staring into the face of a creature who is missing its nose and has its skin pulled so far back that you can see the cartilage is much more terrifying.

Overall, as the lights came on in the theater, I felt alright. My heart wasn’t pounding, and I wasn’t dying to get out of the theater or leave my lights on all night.

Even though I lost about 15 minutes of the movie due to rowdy kids and police officers coming in to escort the front section of the theater out (including me), I would give this movie a 3 out of 5 stars.