Don’t Give Up! Resolutions Revisited

artwork by Stephanie Carreto

artwork by Stephanie Carreto

artwork by Stephanie Carreto

Kate Wiggins, Staff Writer

uary, it’s getting to the point where some people start to give up on their New Year’s Resolutions. The hardest part about creating a New Year’s Resolution is sticking with it. Here’s an idea: rather than giving up on your resolution, why not give yourself permission to adapt it, change it or make it more manageable? So, here are some tips and tricks to make sure you maintain your resolutions!

To start off, you want to make sure your resolution is specific, according to the New York Times. You want to know exactly what it is that you want to achieve. You also want to make it realistic. Creating a resolution and realizing two weeks later that it is something you probably won’t be able to accomplish (for example, not getting stressed out) can be upsetting. Taking small steps to achieve your goal is absolutely okay. You don’t want to get frustrated (nytimes.com).

According to a website about New Year’s Resolutions, it is important to share with others what your resolution is. Share your experiences with friends or family. Even consider having a resolution involving a group of friends. For example, if your goal is to work out more, get a group of friends and hit the gym together (apa.org). Having friends who support you can make your resolution seem a whole lot easier, and way more fun.

A good way to keep track of your resolution is to plan it out carefully. The results of your resolution will usually not magically (or quickly) appear. Therefore, you need a simple plan that will lead you to your success. If your resolution involves trying to break a habit, try breaking it down into smaller parts or baby steps to make it manageable. You obviously want to stay positive, but you also want to be realistic. To do this, do some research and try to picture what obstacles might get in the way of your goal. Then you can figure out how to tackle them or defeat them (nytimes.com).

Senior Faith Adams has a strong opinion about resolutions: “I believe that you shouldn’t have a New Year’s Resolution just because it is a new year. I think that if you are going to have a resolution, it should be something that is important to you, and it will make an impact on your life.”

If you don’t succeed at your goal, do not give up. Simply try again. Everyone fails at some point, but the way you react to failure is key. If you happen to slip up, don’t beat yourself up about it. Go to bed and wake up the next morning with the mindset that “I will do better” (nytimes.com).

Don’t give up on your resolutions. Stay positive and do not give up. Although it may be difficult to keep them alive, keeping a resolution and seeing the final results shows perseverance and dedication. And if you already have given up, start over, and this time, be realistic.  You can do it