Winter Fashion: What to Wear This Season

Micahrae Osteria, Features Editor

As the chilly weather settles in and Jack Frost begins nipping at your nose, what more can you do to stay warm besides having a foamy cup of hot cocoa by your side at all times? The answer may just be sitting in your closet! Winter fashion is what keeps you warm and cozy while also providing you with an aesthetic to fit the season. Here’s how to stay stylishly warm in the chillier-than-usual weather.

For starters, what you wear as your first layer definitely makes a big difference. The secret is to wear several warm, thin layers instead of a few thick layers. Long sleeves, turtlenecks, and button-up dress shirts are sure bets. For bottoms, you have the option of wearing yoga pants, slacks, trousers, or even a long skirt (especially in San Diego). Thick and tightly-woven fabrics are your safest choice. Socks are also super important; just find a fun print and pull those bad boys on! There are also so many different styles to choose from, such as crew socks or thigh-high socks. You can find super-cute patterned tights this season too.

In order to really keep the cold air from curling up around you and dropping you in an abyss of sneezing and sniffling, you should, without question, wear some sort of a second layer on top of your first layer. Some articles of clothing that you could wear include a cardigan, a jacket, or a windbreaker. The list goes on. Sweaters and hoodies are just a few more clothing items that you could wear to keep your torso warm and snug. “I’d wear a sweater or a cardigan with either black tights or boots,” said Junior Melissa Shimabukuro.    “I like a lot of fur and jean jackets,” said Senior Rosaly Glawson. The idea is to really just keep your warmth encased in a sort of cocoon. “I just wear a really heavy jacket or I just layer everything. It’s usually poofy or fur because I’m boujee,” said Senior Fernando Carrios.

To top it all off, you should definitely wear shoes that keep your feet cozy and trendy. You can wear boots, sneakers, flats, or heels. Boots are a big hit this season, whether leather or furry, they will keep you warm and stylish. Accessories are also an essential piece when it comes to adding  personality to an outfit. Hats come in all different shapes and sizes, and each one of them can help during the December weather. Ranging from simple beanies to intense caps with fur and ear flaps, winter hats are ideal for keeping your head warm.

Scarves, mittens, and earmuffs come in several styles, and you can find them relatively anywhere. They all do their little share of keeping you warm, and they also add a final festive touch to any outfit. Scarves are a classic winter accessory. From knit scarves to a soft cashmere, there is no better way to stay cozy and comfortable. The choice between mittens and gloves is an important one. If you are in the snow, you should go with the mittens, but if you are only in the cold, the gloves are probably more convenient.

Jewelry that corresponds to the season can be a fun and whimsical touch to your winter ensemble as well. Snowflake earrings or necklaces modeled after festive and colorful lights creates a joyful addition to any cozy outfit.

Layered winter looks are trendy and functional, and there’s no better time than now to start rocking some fluffy ear muffs or a snazzy pair of socks. Keeping warm doesn’t have to be a chore, and by following these few guiding tips, you’ll be looking chic and comfy at the same time. Extra brownie points for being festive and keeping warm in this winter wonderland!