A Rememberance of Pearl Harbor: 76 Years

artwork by Stephanie Carreto

Emma Truchan, Staff Writer

“December 7, 1941, a date which will live in infamy, the United States of America was suddenly and deliberately attacked by naval and air forces of the Empire of Japan. With confidence in our armed forces – with the unbounding determination of our people – we will gain the inevitable triumph,” said former President Franklin D. Roosevelt, 76 years ago.

The military harbor on the island of Oahu, Hawaii was ambushed by Japanese forces. According to the History Channel’s website, the attack killed 2,430 and injured 1,178. In addition, it took down over 300 airplanes and nearly 20 naval vessels. The attack was devastating, as it permanently damaged war vessels and a great number of war supplies; it took the lives of many innocent people, and pushed the country to war (history.com).

The day lives on in the hearts and thoughts of the American population. Sophomore Dusty Carr comes from a family of veterans, with a father who served twenty five years in the Navy and a relative who served at Pearl Harbor during the attack. Regarding how his family commemorates the service of their relatives, Carr said, “We have our moments of silence. We think about it a lot.”

A day full of fear and violence is now distinguished and commemorated as we pay tribute to those who were affected by the tragedy, and to those who fought bravely and gave their lives on that notorious day.  People observe and honor this day in many ways. Communities will sometimes give opportunities for people to celebrate the survivors and veterans through ceremonies and public events.

Off the coast of Ford Island in Hawaii stands a memorial to those who lost their lives on the USS Arizona, a battleship that sunk during the attack. The memorial site hovers atop the sunken ship. According to the official Pearl Harbor Memorial website, visitors can take a ferry to the memorial site for a small fee, and observe relics from the attack. Visitors are also given the opportunity to view documentaries covering the events of the strike (pearlharborhistoricsites.org).

There are opportunities to pay tribute to the events that took place at Pearl Harbor here in San Diego, such as the annual Pearl Harbor Remembrance Day ceremony held at the USS Midway that is held each year on December 7. According to the USS Midway website, the ceremony includes a prayer, a two-bell ceremony where the names of survivors of the attack who passed away in the past year are read, and a wreath is hung in dedication to the veterans who served in the attack (midway.org).

Seventy-six  years ago, our nation experienced a great tragedy, and it is important to remember the bravery of those affected by the attack and honor their memory.