• What is Saint Patrick's Day really about? See the Features Page!

Top 10 Drivable Destinations to Hit this Summer

Kaylee Williams and Erin Nguyen, Features Editor and Staff Writer

By Kaylee Williams and Erin Nguyen

Staff Writer

Summer is fast approaching. So start thinking about places nearby to visit during the break. Here are the top 10 summer drivable destinations for San Diegans.

10. Sunset Cliffs- Located in Ocean Beach, here you can hike the cliffs or sit and relax and enjoy the beautiful sunsets of San Diego.When you’re done, check out the OB Pier and walk Newport to visit all the cool shops.

9. Safari Park- With 1800 acres of wildlife preserve and over 240 species present, you are sure to have an adventure in the San Diego Zoo’s Safari Park.

8. Carlsbad- It has a lot to more to offer than you would think. There is a large outlet mall for shopping and Carlsbad is also known for the flower fields,  a beautiful place to take photos.

7. Baja- It’s not technically in San Diego, but just a hop south next door. Get your parents to take you south of the border. There’s lobster in Puerta Nuevo, and Tijuana is host to some of the best chefs out there right now. Just ask the Food Network.

6. Balboa Park- So many museums, gardens, restaurants, and the zoo are in Balboa Park. Even just walking around the cultural park is entertaining due to the Spanish architecture.

5. Coronado- Coronado is a great place to go for a bike ride or hang out with friends and family. The beaches are beautiful, with miles and miles of glimmering sand. There is also a really awesome skate park called the City of Coronado Skatepark. The Hotel Del Coronado is super cool and rumor has it, it’s haunted.

4. Del Mar-  The San Diego County Fair Opens soon and then comes Racing season. In addition to these fun-filled events, Del Mar is host to beautiful beaches.

3. La Jolla- A beautiful place throughout each and every season. The houses there are gorgeous, there’s a wide variety of beaches, an array of restaurants with delicious food choices, and also the Birch Aquarium.

2. Los Angeles- Whether you visit Hollywood, Venice Beach, or Melrose, L.A. is a nice change of pace from laid-back San Diego. It’s only a two-hour drive with tons of things to do once you get there.

1. Julian- It may be best known for the pies, but there are also cute shops. Even the drive up to Julian is beautiful due to the mountain roads.