• What is Saint Patrick's Day really about? See the Features Page!

It’s Never too Early to Start Prepping for College

Kaylee Williams, Features Editor

By Kaylee Williams

Features Editor

Whether you’re moving a couple of miles south to attend San Diego State or leaving California, college is a big change. The freedom of being on your own is equally as thrilling as it is terrifying. College is the bridge from childhood to adulthood.

Packing for college is a daunting task. It’s important to remember that dorms are tiny and probably smaller than your bedroom at home. When packing, just pack the essentials. There are some good strategies, such as packing one of every type of clothing item you own. Or if you have the option, you could rotate out your clothes with the seasons. One website suggests that you try and limit what you bring by only packing what you can fit into a medium-sized car (thespruce.com). When packing to live in half of  a tiny room, less is better so it is a good idea to downsize your belongings.

Living in San Diego is a blessing and a curse. The curse is, if you are one of the few that choose to leave, there is a good chance you’re going to be homesick. Another website suggests that making your dorm feel like it’s yours will make the move a bit easier. Bed Bath & Beyond and Target have college lines that consist strictly of dorm supplies and decorations. Having a good environment to work in really can boost your productivity (everycollegegirl.com). Make your bed extra comfy with a nice comforter and pillows. Decorate the walls with pictures of you and your friends from home or band posters, anything that makes you more comfortable in your new home away from home (collegexpress.com).

Preparing for college mentally is just as, if not more, important as preparing yourself with dorm supplies. Summertime is the ideal time to start developing healthy habits. Being away from home and your parents makes it easy to slip into poor eating and sleeping habits. Without a daily routine, it is easy to sleep too much or not at all or eat too much or not enough. Another source suggest that, this summer, you try to get used to waking up at a semi-normal time instead of sleeping the day away (greatist.com).

Many kids have been going to school with the same people since kindergarten. If that is you, you might be a little worried about going to a school where you know no one. In this day in age, social media is an amazing networking tool! Lots of colleges have Facebook pages for incoming students. The initial purpose of the Facebook pages are to help students find roommates but there is no harm in joining if you aren’t living on campus or already have a roommate.  Consider using social media to be proactive at making friends (greatist.com).

Be ready for changes and new experiences. So much is bound to change in college. It is important to be open to changes and new experiences. Make friends with people that aren’t necessarily like the ones you have back home.  Try branching out and taking some classes outside of your expected major (undergrad.standford.edu). According to Pennsylvania State University, approximately 75 percent of students change their major after or during their freshman year (psu.edu). There are so many interesting classes, take advantage of some and you may discover a major more suited to you. According to AVID Teacher Jennifer Huszar, “It is important to go to college with an open mind. College really overwhelms you with new views and different ideas. Take advantage of being in a new environment; it can really help you grow.”.

The idea of moving to college in a couple months can be stressful or be liberating, depending on your mindset. Try to remain excited to start a new chapter in your life. It is normal to feel sad to be leaving the comfortable niche of high school. Do everything you can to prepare the summer before college, in order to make the transition easier.