Stay Calm: How to Look Bomb at Prom

Micahrae Osteria, News Editor

Color coordinated corsages, black sleek limos and bedazzled floor length dresses. These all add up to one thing — Prom. This special night is known for making memories, causing mayhem and starting romance. In the midst of these events unfolding, one of the most important parts of Prom is revealed, and that’s what you’re wearing. As the days leading up to Prom fly by, and the weeks of preparation are thrown out the window, there’s really only one thing to worry about — do you have an outfit?

When thinking about Prom dresses, the words that come to mind are beautiful, perfect, individual, form-fitting and exclusive. Unfortunately, that isn’t always the case. Finding a Prom dress can be stressful, but once you find a dress you’re in love with, it’ll make all those hours of cramping into tiny fittings rooms worth it. “Even though it’s stressful, don’t just settle for your dress,” said Senior Alicia Berlanga.

There are many things that come into play when searching for a Prom dress. How comfortable you are when wearing it, whether you have shoes to wear with it and if the corsage will match it are just a couple of things to worry about. “You look better when you feel comfortable,” said Senior Adam To. When looking for a Prom dress, make sure you’re comfortable, and that you’ll be able to dance and party the night away in it. “Dress cute, but don’t dress so cute to the point where you’re uncomfortable,” said Senior Michelle Garcia.

Tuxedos and suits are usual men’s attire at Prom, but if you wanna dress it up and stand out, the same tips for finding a dress apply to finding a suit or tux ensemble. Make sure it’s comfortable enough for you, and that it’s flexible enough so that you don’t get any tears in the clothing. “I’m wearing a tuxedo, because it’s classy,” said Senior Kristoffer Lansang. If you’re planning on wearing a tuxedo, be sure to include accessories to add a little something. Even the little details, like whether to wear a bowtie or tie, can make your outfit stand out more. You’re even open to wearing a top hat or bring a handheld accessory like a cane. This is a special occasion, so be sure to get the right clothing to complete your look. And if you are going with a date, be sure to coordinate colors.Don’t forget to order your corsage and boutineer!

Money can be a problem, but if you’re really in a tight spot at the moment, you can always rent an outfit for Prom. Another idea for your Prom outfit could be to go to a thrift store and up-cycle whatever you find to your own personal taste. Both options save you money and still make the night memorable and fun. Why trash a bunch of cash on a dress or tux you’ll only get one wear out of? “You shouldn’t spend too much money on a dress you’re only gonna wear once. If you can, borrow a dress or buy a used one,” said Senior Athena Dickinson.

Prom is an unforgettable night you’ll only be able to experience in high school, so don’t let it go to waste. Enjoy yourself and have fun, because you deserve it!