San Diego Specialty Stores to Geek Out in

Karyssa Newsome, Features Editor

Naturally, when you love something, you want to surround yourself with that something. Whether that something is a certain comic book series, a movie trilogy, television show or some other branch of pop culture, depends  on the individual. Walking through the halls of UC High, you probably notice your fellow students sporting graphic t-shirts, flashy key chains or other subtle hints of their sweet obsessions; you’re probably left wondering where they acquired such awesome nerdy swag — right? There are numerous places around San Diego where you can get that oftentimes-hard-to-find geeky merchandise that you’ve been craving.

One venue that is great for getting all sorts of merch for your favorite shows and series is Comics-n-Stuff, with nine locations all throughout San Diego County. The store has an epic collection of merchandise and, according to its website, it has “the largest selection of comic books and collectible toys in San Diego” (comics-n-stuff.com).  “The store has a wide selection of comics and merch. You just have to think of a character or comic book title, and there is a section where they are organized according to that. If they don’t have it in store, the employees are nice enough to order it online for you,” said Senior Stefani Naranjo.

Comics-n-Stuff sells a variety of themed merchandise from comic books and manga to action figures and clothing, and pretty much everything in between. “It can be expensive, though! You have to plan your purchases. They have action figures ranging anywhere from forty dollars and up depending on which one you purchase, but at the end of the day, it’s worth it,” explained Naranjo. “You get to keep them forever, and you can share them and pass them down to your future kids.”

It is true that it can be hard to find a venue that sells cool merchandise cheaply, but one place to check out if you are looking to collect on a budget is BOOKOFF in Kearny Mesa. BOOKOFF is a Japanese second-hand shop that offers an awesome collection of books, comics and manga (including in English), along with a bunch of other miscellaneous items, such as game systems, instruments, CDs, handbags and even bikes!

BOOKOFF is especially great for people who like to collect manga. They have a ton of manga and graphic novels sold for prices way cheaper than list prices. For instance, BOOKOFF sold a graphic novel that usually goes for 13 dollars for 7 bucks. This store is great for students who collect on a budget, because you can get quality products for way-low prices. BOOKOFF refuses to buy any products that are in bad shape, so whatever merch you buy, it is sure to be in good, if not new, condition.

Comickaze is a place to go if you are looking for a diverse variety of things to buy. Among some of the items they sell, you can find products such as The Walking Dead lunchboxes, Attack on Titan figures and DC comics. The cool thing about Comickaze is that it has something for everyone, no matter what fandom you belong to. You’ll instantly feel at home when you walk into their cozy shop on Clairemont Mesa Blvd and see all the cool merch hanging from the walls and the boxes upon boxes of books, comics and graphic novels available for purchase.

There are tons more places to visit across San Diego that sell cool merchandise to quench that geeky thirst of yours. Whether you are looking for a key-chain, costume, collection or poster, Comikaze, BOOKOFF, and Comics-n-Stuff are sure to have it. If not, grab a few of your friends, hit the streets of San Diego and stumble upon a comic store gem of your own.