• What is Saint Patrick's Day really about? See the Features Page!

UCHS Swim and Dive Hope New Season Makes a Splash

Kees van Daelen, Staff Writer

It is that time of year again where the swimmers hit the pool and the divers climb the ladders in preparation for competition. The UC High Swim and Dive Team are ready to compete this year as a team to win a League title, and many inspired individuals are looking to win CIF and even looking to move on to the state championships.

Since swim is an individual and a team sport, the swimmers have two goals in mind. “The team’s goals this year is to win League, but my individual goal is to win CIF,” said Senior Thomas Kim.

“Our biggest rivals this year are Coronado High and La Jolla High,” said Kim. The Centurions look to defeat these schools on their way to a League championship.

Senior Brendan Santana has set a tough goal for himself this season. “I want to do my best to beat the guy who beat me last year at State,” Santana said. Santana is one of the top recruited swimmers in the nation and will continue his swimming career at Notre Dame University.

Santana judges the quality of a swim meet by the quality of the swimmers on the other team. “I always have a lot of fun swimming against La Jolla High, because they have a USC commit,” Santana explained. Racing against other great swimmers pushes Santana to be the best swimmer he can be.

Santana’s best event is the 100-yard butterfly, clocking in a time of 48.20 seconds, and he is hoping to improve on that time this year.

Brendan Santana has a brother, Zander, who also swims for the team and excels more in long-distance freestyle. He plans to take his talents to Boston College next year. With two Division One commits, the team is looking very strong heading into the season.

“The 200 Medley Team Relay Team is one of our best Relay Teams,” Brendan Santana explained. “This is one of the teams we hope to win CIF with.” The medley relay consists of all four strokes: backstroke, breaststroke, butterfly, and freestyle, with a different individual swimming each one of the strokes.

“Training is very intense. We train five times a week for two hours, and some of us train on the weekends also,” Santana explained. Swimmers must keep up their training to excel in competition.

Since swim is a co-ed sport, the girls on the team compete as well. At the swim meets, both boys and girls compete at the same meet.

The Dive Team is also ready for competition this year. Junior Lula Cotsirilos is one of the few divers on the UC High Dive Team. The divers compete off of the one-meter board. “My best dive is a front double twisting flip,” said Cotsirilos.

The Dive Team, just like swim, competes against rival schools and their biggest rival is Cathedral High according to Cotsirilos. “My favorite things about dive is working on improving my dives and practicing my dives with a lot of different people.”