• What is Saint Patrick's Day really about? See the Features Page!

Julia Cowell Picks Up the Pace

Micahrae Osteria, Sports Editor

As a captain of track and field, it’s Junior Julia Cowell’s responsibility to ignite a spark of determination within her team, and push them to do the best that they can possibly do while in meets. She does this with a strong resolve, as she is a hardworking and a dedicated athlete.

Coming from a family that is committed to fitness and sports, it’s no surprise that Julia Cowell grew up to become a triathlete, following in her family’s footsteps. “Our dad is a coach up at a school in Valley Center and he always pushes us to be our best, and we work out with him a lot,” said Junior Nicole Cowell, Julia’s sister.  “My mom also played sports in high school and our brother is also very athletic as well. Our whole family consists of triathletes, and we all play sports,” she continued.

The need for speed obviously runs in the family, as Julia Cowell decided to join track and field in her first year of high school. “I wanted to do a third sport in high school, and then I ended up loving track and field,” said Julia Cowell. “My longest run is a quarter mile, which is just one lap, and it’s actually the hardest race that I’ve ever ran.” Track and Field isn’t just something that she plans to leave in high school, as she intends to continue participating in track and field in her college years as well. She mostly does 100s and 200s, as well as relays such as the 4×100 and the 4×400.

Her love for the sport is evident in her improvement since her freshman year, and now as a captain, her commitment to track and field is as strong as ever. Coach John Hutsel also expressed his admiration for Cowell as a captain as well: “Julia is amazing, and she has the heart of a lion.”

Julia Cowell’s work ethic is very apparent in the way that she always pushes her team members to perform to the best that they possibly can. “She’s really hardworking and she pushes the rest of the team to work hard and be the best that they possibly can be,” said Nicole Cowell. “During practice she leads in stretches and warm ups, and she helps the underclassmen grow and get used to the sport. She’s understanding and a good friend on and off the field. She definitely pushes me at practice,” said Sophomore Nyah Brooks.

The most prominent skill that Julia Cowell has is her integrity as an athlete, whether it be in her determination as a player, or in her heart as a captain. Not only can her coach see it, but her family and her team members can see it as well. “She goes to practice everyday, and she really takes leadership at practice and during the workouts,” said Nicole.

“She’s definitely grown into the sport, considering that this is her third year on the team, and she’s really good. She’s really competitive and she’s kind of a perfectionist, so she strives for the best. She really cares about the team and everyone overall,” said Brooks.