• Xanax and Alcohol... a Deadly Cocktail, See Unsigned Editorial

Littlewood Leads Lacrosse to Victory

Luke Minnick

Kees van Daelen, Staff Writer

Lacrosse is an up and coming sport that recently hit the west coast and is gaining popularity with many young aspiring athletes. One of these young athletes is Senior Hunter Littlewood. With lacrosse season right around the corner, the UC High Boys Lacrosse Team looks to have a very good season as they will be trying to improve on their 10-9 record from their previous season.
   “I love lacrosse, because it is a very unique sport and requires a lot of skill,” Littlewood said. He began playing when he was 12 years old for the La Jolla Lacrosse Club. He instantly fell in love with the game.
   Littlewood plays midfield, a position very important because the player must be good at the defensive end in trying to prevent the other team from scoring goals while also being good at the offensive end, where he must help his team score goals.
   A good lacrosse player must have many skills in his arsenal. “My best qualities as a player are passing, shooting, and juke moves,” Littlewood explained.
   Littlewood is a captain on the team and a strong leader. “I love to be a leader, because I get to hang out with my friends and play the sport I love,” he said. Littlewood explained that he has started many new friendships through lacrosse.
   “The team’s goals this year are to improve our record from last year and win the championship,” Littlewood said. The team lost their final game of the season last year to La Jolla Country Day and are also looking to avenge that loss this year.
   Littlewood has made an impact on the Varsity Team for the past four years. “I learned from the senior leaders in my younger years to become the best leader I can be this year.”
   Another impressive fact about Littlewood is that he is a three-sport athlete, playing football, rugby, and lacrosse, all on the varsity teams. “ I like to stay active and try out a bunch of different sports,” he explained.
   Defensive Captain Riley Addison said, “I played with Littlewood for five years, and he is one of the top five lacrosse players I have ever played with.” Addison explained that it is great to have a midfielder like Littlewood around to help with defense but also with the ability to score goals.
   “Littlewood’s best leadership qualities are showing the new guys tricks and bringing in guys to play,” said Addison. Littlewood has recruited many people to play lacrosse over the years, which in turn has improved the program as a whole.

Alongside recruiting people, Littlewood leads his team by example, by teaching the younger players different lacrosse techniques and plays.

Not only is he a good lacrosse player himself, but he wants to share the sport he loves with the rest of the world.