• What is Saint Patrick's Day really about? See the Features Page!

Trump’s First 100 Days Display His Inexperience

Emma Conrad, News Editor

Towards the end of last October, President Trump revealed his 100 day agenda to “Make America Great Again.”  According to National Public Radio [NPR], he laid out a  “…plan for working with Congress to introduce ten pieces of legislation that would repeal Obamacare, fund the construction of a wall at the Southern border… and more” (npr.org).  However, as we close out these rocky 100 days,  President Trump has failed to perform most of the tasks he set out to do, and has instead created a generous amount of controversy.

One area that President Trump said he would change was healthcare, specifically Obamacare. According to the New York Times, this debacle “was the biggest defeat of Mr. Trump’s young presidency, which has suffered many,” thus “cast[ing] a long shadow over the ambitious agenda that Mr. Trump and Republican leaders had promised to enact” (nytimes.com). President Trump promised to repeal and replace Obamacare; however, major divides in the Republican party led to an embarrassing defeat. Even if they were successful in repealing Obamacare, according to Forbes, “Trump’s plan would have resulted in the loss of coverage for 18 million Americans…” (forbes.com). With little knowledge on the matter, President Trump was a terrible choice to lead the charge on healthcare. Unfortunately, he is just as ignorant toward many other matters essential to his position.

Another matter President Trump promised to cause significant change to was immigration. To limit immigration, he proposed building a wall and placed travel bans on several majority-Muslim countries. According to the San Diego Union Tribune, construction companies have already submitted their designs for a US-Mexican wall, and “Roughly 20 companies will be chosen by the U.S. Department of Homeland Security.” While Trump originally said Mexico will pay for the wall, it is likely the Congress will end up funding at least part of it (sandiegouniontribune.com). While the wall seems more possible than ever, President Trump’s travel bans have been less so. According to The Economist, “His repeated attempts to draft curbs on travel to America from some Muslim countries are being blocked by the courts” (economist.com). Not only are these travel bans facing obstacles by the courts, but they are also facing criticism from protesting Americans all over the country.

“Morally, a lot of the things he is pushing for are very convoluted and complex, so he should be careful. But I think people shouldn’t judge him for his first [100] days,” said Junior Alexa Roosnovo.

While these are only two of many matters on President’s Trump’s agenda, they provide insight to the rest of his first 100 days. While it is not unusual for the first months to be difficult, according to the Economist, “…his executive orders so far have been crudely theatrical” (economist.com). President Trump has shown off his bombastic personality throughout the election process; however, it was uncertain whether he would actually go through with any of his plans. In his first few months, President Trump has shown how his inexperience and grandiloquent nature have resulted in a President who’s all talk and perhaps that is for the best.