• What is Saint Patrick's Day really about? See the Features Page!

Music Department Hosts Third Annual Sights and Sounds Fundraiser

Inigo Lintag, Staff Writer

The third annual UC High Sights and Sounds Showcase took place on Friday, April 14. Students, staff and special friends of UC High participated and were featured as performers.

According to the UC High Music Department website, the whole showcase was presented by the UC High Music Boosters and The Centurion Foundation (uchsmusic.com).

“The Sights and Sounds Showcase is a fundraiser benefit concert for the UC High Music Department. It features current and former students of the Music Department and staff from UC High,” explained Band Director Brandon Corenman.

According to Corenman, “The event started at six o’clock with an adult reception catered by the French Gourmet. There were silent auctions and the Phil Marcus Jazz Trio also performed.”

The silent auction was made possible by a range of donors, from smaller businesses such as Bandar Restaurant and Coronado Playhouse, to large corporations such as Disneyland and In-N-Out Burger. Even some of the UC High staff, including Corenman and Principal Jeff Olivero, helped out (uchsmusic.com).

Although UC High’s Music Department’s website describes the whole showcase as a “musical journey featuring students, staff, and special friends,” the night’s activities were not only limited to only music performances (uchsmusic.com).

“Some performers could do dances that they composed themselves, highlighting music and arts. In the past, we’ve had poetry,” continued Corenman.

“The event also featured a teen lounge where a pizza dinner was available starting at six o’clock. The teen lounge was located in a different part of the building. After the reception, the showcase began,” explained Corenman.

Corenman commented, “We came up with the idea of the showcase as a way to help raise funds to support and sustain the music program at UC High.”

“We wanted something that featured our students in a different way instead of the usual school ensembles. The performers could perform solos or they could play in bands outside of the school, just different performance opportunities,” added Corenman.

“Every act was really outstanding. They featured some of our top performers and our most outgoing students. If I had to highlight anything, I would promote the staff members,” Corenman concluded.

“The UC High Sights and Sounds Showcase is an amazing event that shows parents and the community what our music department is all about. The UC High Music Department grows and develops talent every year. The Sights and Sounds Showcase is the perfect way to display that talent,” commented Freshman Serra Gaeta.

Brass Ensemble Members Gavin Sullivan and Sophia Lipkin expressed their excitement: “We were really excited to be performing.”

“I’ve been seeing the showcase since the first year and performed for the first time last year. This year, we played Gavin’s original arrangement. It was really interesting to be doing our own arrangement instead of someone else’s,” said Lipkin.

“It’s an actual showcase of student talent, and we’re also excited for the opportunity to support our music department,” added Sullivan.

“It was definitely worth it to go. I know people who weren’t huge music fans but have actually enjoyed it, because there was a wide range of activities. There’s dancers, there’s singers, there’s people playing instruments, so it’s a really nice mix of everything,”added Lipkin.

According to Corenman, “The whole show has been amazing every year and it is definitely worth seeing. It’s just a really great event that you shouldn’t miss. Every year is very different, new, and better. There’s never a reason not to go.”