• What is Saint Patrick's Day really about? See the Features Page!

Catch Baby Boss on the Big Screen

Jason Eisengart, Staff Writer

By Jason Eisengart

Staff Writer

The Boss Baby may very well be the best-animated movie I have ever seen. The animation is outstanding, it is genuinely funny, has spectacular voice acting, an interesting concept, and handles heavier subjects with elegance.

The whole animation team on this movie went all out. Not only is the movie in 3-D animation, but it also occasionally drifts into 2-D, comic book style animation. Something about the 2-D segments, which normally occur in daydreaming / imagination sequences, really add a special feeling to the movie. It puts you in the character’s head, allows you to experience what they are envisioning, but in a way that suits the scenario in a better way than 3-D could. In short, it really augments the whole child protagonist aspect. The 3-D animation is not to be forgotten though. It is incredibly fluid. Characters can flap around or make sudden, jerky, or small and simple motions and each one is caught in the animation with no problem.

I tend not to laugh out loud during movies, especially kids movies, but this one got me. There are many times in this film that I found myself grinning, chuckling, or even full on laughing. It has such a, for lack of a better word, different kind of humor than most movies. It is not afraid to go out of its way to make a joke, but it does not hinder it at all. It really just adds to the experience of the children on screen. On top of regular, child-friendly humor, there are a surprising number of adult jokes in this movie. They tend to have some sort of build up, preparing the older audience members for the joke, but some just kind of happen. The kids in the audience are none the wiser while the adults are covering their mouths trying to suppress a laugh.

The voice acting,.. good lord the voice acting. I don’t think I’ve ever heard better voice acting in animation. Every line is spot on, no hesitation, completely natural feeling; it is amazing. The dialogue between any two characters feels as though they were simply recorded having a standard conversation on their own. It all just feels natural. The Boss Baby — voiced by Mr. Alec Baldwin — is awesome in this role. Every line is said with the perfect emotion for the scene, from commanding and authoritative, to mild and sensitive: Mr. Baldwin nails it perfectly.

This movie handles some heavier, more adult subjects very gracefully. It handles subjects such as a new member of the family joining, not knowing a family, feeling unloved, and saying goodbye to someone, for example. Yet it deals with each one of these in stride. Despite there being so many of them, the movie does not linger on them. It mentions the subject, gives a response or a quick, almost subliminal way to deal with them, and continues on with the hilarity. The important part of it is, though, that it is not afraid to tackle those subjects. And for that, I commend the movie.

This movie has a rather interesting concept concerning babies. Babies are created and tested right after they appear. The ones who laugh, play around, and just go with the flow are sent to families as just regular children. However, those who are stone-faced, don’t laugh, and try to think critically about their situation are made into corporate babies who have to run the baby business. I can’t say for certain what it is that I particularly like about this concept of babies, but it intrigued me. The writers of this movie have the whole thing laid out, like scheduled nap times and tiny water coolers. It was a cute and rather funny way to explain babies, and seeing them all in business attire was absolutely adorable.

And now comes the time for complaints. However, I only have a couple. The biggest and most glaring problem I had was there were way too many butt jokes. We get it, butts are funny — give us some new material. Another problem is that they sing a particular song too many times. It is supposed to have a deep meaning in the context of the film, but they use it so much it winds up meaning nothing. And lastly, while this is a superficial complaint, it was too short. Yes, it clocked in at 97 minutes, the standard length for an animated children’s movie, but it was so good I could not bear to see it end!

Like I said earlier, The Boss Baby is the best animated movie I have ever seen. But don’t just take my word for it, check it out for yourself. And this brings my final rating for this film to a 9.6/10.